eight

maybe i should start from the end

"Annie!"

Silence fills the room, and I snuggle into my pillow.

"Annie, wake the hell up!"

My face is smacked by a soft object, but the impact is hard enough to cause me so shoot up, eyes wide. Hope stares back at me, tossing the pillow to her side. "What the hell was that for?" I hiss at her.

"Landon's in trouble." She gives me no time to react before throwing an outfit my way.

I adjust myself in my bed, squinting at my older sister. "And you know that, how?" She sends me an annoyed look, before holding up her wrist. "I gave you that!" I snap.

She nods. "And I gave it to Landon because he's always getting himself hurt." She tosses a shirt at my face. "Get dressed!"

After a few minutes, I'm following Hope through the halls of the Salvatore School. "And how are we going to get wherever it is you want us to go?" I ask, looking for anyone that could see us.

"These," She holds up Alaric's keys, and I raise my brows in slight surprise, and approval.

We start to the door, nearly out of the school-

"Going somewhere?"

I wince, "Uh oh." I whisper. The two of us slowly turn around, seeing Dr. Saltzman standing there.

"Better questions, where the hell do you think you're going with my keys and without telling me?" He snaps. My eyes widen in worry, looking to Hope for help.

"Um, you know, I just said some really harsh things to you yesterday, and so I just wanted to get you an oil change as a peace offering."

I toss my hands up, "Surprise!"

Alaric scoffs at our remark. "At 3:00 a.m.?" He replies. "Hope, you don't have a driver's license. You were gonna commit grand theft auto, which is a felony. You're both ditching school right before the midterm exams begin," He eyeballs my sister. "and you've made it very clear to me that you see me as an authority figure and nothing more. So tell me, why shouldn't I suspend you this very second?"

"She made me!" I say suddenly.

"Annie!" Hope remarks. "You wanted to come!"

I roll my eyes. "Not before I was forcefully awoken out of my sweet slumber!"

"You still came!"