eighteen

this year will be different

"Come on, Anna! You got school!" Groaning, I toss the blankets off myself

"Come on, Anna! You got school!" Groaning, I toss the blankets off myself. Elena flicks on my light, causing me to yelp. "Let's go, short stuff!"

Sitting up, I look around my new bedroom. Painted a soft blue, I have all white furniture, and a closet the side of a small bathroom. My bed is pressed against the wall with simple black and white patterned sheets, and a small nightstand with a lamp. I grumble as I slide off the bed, putting on slippers.

Hopping down the stairs, I see Elena getting ready for work, while Damon makes breakfast. The walls are filled with pictures of me growing up, along with a few pictures of me with some of their own friends, Alaric, Caroline, even one of me and Bonnie when I first transitioned into a human. The only pictures of the three of us we had taken over the summer, and to our surprise, we did look like a happy family. I looked more like Damon, obviously, but we pulled it off.

Damon grins at me, handing me a plate. "Don't you look exited." He says sarcastically. I roll my eyes playfully as he kisses Elena's head. "I'll make sure to get her to school, okay?"

"Okay," She whispers. "Bye, Anna,"

"Bye, Elena!" I shout as she walks out the door. Damon sits next to me as I continue eating my pancakes. "What was it like? Before you guys were together?"

Damon chuckles lowly. "She was in love with my brother."

My eyes widen in surprise. "Seriously?"

"Seriously." He whispers. "They were an interesting lil thing. Of course, I got the girl." Damon winks as I giggle. "He ended up with Caroline, but sadly passed before they could live the life they truly wanted." He explains.

I frown. "I'm sorry."

"Dont be, he's at peace now," He hums. "Finish up your pancakes, and let's get going, alright?"

"You're new too?" I look to my side to see a both, with brown hair and a strong built. I clear my throat, nodding slowly. "So are me and my sister. I'm Ethan."

"Anastasia." I blurt, shaking his hand. "You can call me Anna." I hum, deciding for a change. I was sick of Annie. I wanted to be something different. Something new. For some reason, any memory of the Salvatore school feels sour. Especially now that me and Josie broke up.

Ethan nods slowly, flashing his pearly whites. "Nice to meet you, Anna." He chuckles. "You know anything about this place?"

I suck in a breath, remembering the time I was here for a day. "Yeah, actually. I kinda do."

"Cool, maybe you can-"

"Hold it!" A girl shouts. I turn to watch a pretty girl with tan skin and sparkling brown eyes walks over. Her...everything was neatly done in every way she'd want it to be. "I'm sorry, is my stupid brother annoying you?"