twenty-one

screw endgame

"Go, Timberwolves!" I clap slowly as the cheer team finishes up practice

"Go, Timberwolves!" I clap slowly as the cheer team finishes up practice. Maya pants, sweat dripping off her forehead as she does their routine again.

Suddenly, my phone starts to ring. "Hello?"

"Annie, what's up?"

I frown. "Um, not much? Kaleb, why are you calling me?" I ask. I hadn't talked to the vampire in a long time. It felt weird to hear his voice.

"Listen, Sebastian isn't real."

"Are you talking about Lizzies vampire boy toy she called me crying about?" I ask. "I already know."

Kaleb clears his throat. "Well, MG thought Lizzie was going crazy, but now MG is seeing this dude too."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"Ow!" I hear MG yelp.

Kaleb sighs, "He's some old guy that's been desiccated in a box. I guess when me and MG moved the blood fountain, Sebastian got a taste. So now he can tap into some minds." The vampire explains.

I hear MG shout at someone, but no reply. "A little help here, Annie?"

My eyes are wide as I watch Maya walk over with her gym bag. "Uh, uh, yeah. Yeah I'll come, um, help with that." I blurt. "I'll see you guys soon." I click my phone, shoving it into my pocket.

"Hey, ready for burgers?" Asks Maya. I open my mouth, but I'm not sure what to say. I gesture to my phone, and her face falls. "You're ditching, again?"

"It's not ditching!" I say. "It's...rescheduling." Maya scowls at least as I let out an awkward sigh. "I'm sorry,"

The girl holds up her hand, shaking her head. "It's cool." She gives me a small smile. "I'll catch you later."

I go to say something, but she just walks away. "I hate humans." I pout.

I walk into the school, and I'm immediately bombarded by colors and balloons. Slowly walking through, I catch sight of Landon. "Hey," He turns around, nearly jumping at the sight of me. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Uh, it's the decade dance." He explains, as if it's so simple.

I nod slowly. "Do you know where I can find Josie?" He looks at my confused when I turn to see Josie walking down the stairs. "Never mind, found her." I hum, smiling before walking away. "Hey, Saltzman!"

The brunette glances up at me, her eyes widening. She stands up straight, adjusting her skirt. "An-Annie. Hey." She stammers. "What are you doing here?" She asks softly.

"Oh, you know. My good ole vampire friends need my help." I say awkwardly. "Where's Lizzie?"

"She's running errands or something." Josie shrugs. She gives me a slight up and down look before adjusting her weight. "How are you and that girl?"