nine

what was hope doing in your dreams?

"Yesterday, I came into possession of another Malivore artifact

"Yesterday, I came into possession of another Malivore artifact. It was my hope to find a method of containment before it signaled another monster, but given the emergency meeting I've just called, I'm sure you can guess how well that went." Said Alaric Saltzman. The entire school was having yet another meeting. It felt like we were having a lot of those recently.

Landon leans over to me and Rafael. "Do you see Hope anywhere?" The two of us look around, but see no sign of Hope.

"But rest assured we are taking every precaution. Sheriff Donovan has been kind enough to open the doors of the Lockwood Mansion to us, as well as Ms. King opening her estate to us also, so Mr. Williams and Ms. Tig are now in the process of evacuating our students from the lower grades."

"Why don't we just evacuate the damn artifact?" Asks Kaleb.

"We are much more well-equipped than the world at large to handle the arrival of a monster." Alaric retorts. "Once we know what we're dealing with and the problem is contained, then we can reassess what to do with the artifact. If any of you would like to evacuate, please talk to Dorian or Emma. However, exam week will continue as scheduled, wherever you are." All of us groan in annoyance. "I know. I'm sorry. I can't exactly call the state accreditation board and tell them that we're cancelling the exams because of monsters." He explains. "We'll get through this, I promise. Try and get some rest, okay? Good night."

I approach Mr. S when the crowd disperses. "My mom has estate in Mystic Falls?" I ask.

"She's had it since the 1300's." Alaric sighs. "She just wanted to help as much as she can from Africa."

He walks off, but I follow. "What is she doing in Africa? Shouldn't she be worried about her daughters safety?"

"I'm sure she is but she's helping others in other countries, Anastasia, now go to bed." He demands as he heads back to his office.

I scoff, rolling my eyes. "My mother."

Walking to class, I listen to a soft song through my headphones, a voice all to familiar behind me.

"Stasia."

I freeze in my tracks. Exhaling slowly, I turn to face the girl I've had a crush on since I came to this school. Josie Saltzman. "Why are you here?" I hiss.

She begins to walk closer; her brown hair shines from the windows. "Because I wanted to see you. To explain that what happened was a mistake. And that you're the only girl I need."

"Then why didn't you-" Josie cuts me off, kissing me harshly. My small body slams into the nearby wall. I'm surprised by her dominance, if I'm being honest.