fifteen

i'll tell you a story

Everyone's in limbo.

We're all in different phases with one another. And it's becoming more and more obvious.

I walk down the hall, seeing Josie. I squeak, making a sharp turn to make sure she doesn't spot me. Sighing in relief, I look at the hall I've entered. Rafael and I stare at each other. We were both surprised, confused. Pursing my lips, I turn away again, as does he. The two of us walk in opposite directions, and I can't help but feel guilty.

I had shifted again. However, this time...it's not the same. Something happened that night. Something I don't think anyone else knows.

I sit in the library, writing away when I see a hand on the table. I look up, seeing Roman. "Hey." He says as he pulls up a chair.

"Are you joining in the I have nothing better to do except bother me squad?" I ask bitterly. He looks around confused. "Hope just left." I remark.

He hums in understanding. "No. I actually wanted to see what you were doing." The boy looks over my shoulder looking at the book I have open next to my notebook.

I sigh, leaning on my hand. "I am doing very important school things, Roman. Which you should be doing right now." I scold, turning back to the paper.

"You mean you're avoiding your girlfriend because she kissed her ex girlfriend, or her ex kissed her. And you're also avoiding your friend because he has feelings for you he shouldn't have." I look at Roman, surprised by his accuracy. "I know you too well, Anastasia."

"And I wish you didn't know me at all." I huff. "What do you want, Roman?"

Roman gulps, sighing. "Look, Anna-"

"Only Ric can call me that." I scold.

He rolls his eyes. "Anastasia, I meant it two years ago when I said I saw you like a little sister. And I mean it now." He tells me. "You're not okay. You and I both know that. Maybe it's time you let someone outside of this disaster help you." I stare up at the curly haired boy, remembering all the times we spent together.

"Roman!" I scream as he tosses me on his back. He spins in circles as I let out loud squeals. My mom, who had been the one to let me meet Roman, smiles as she watches from the doorway.

Mom had still been teaching at the Salvatore school, which is how she met Roman. She figured Roman and I would get along, and brought him to our small apartment in Mystic Falls to meet him. We had grown close now. I never stayed here much, as I was usually in New Orleans with Aunt Freya, or Uncle Elijah. Elijah had bee in my primary caretaker the past few months. Even before he got his memory back, he and my mom bonded.

Elijah, who was E when I met him, had taken me in after my mom said I was in danger. Neither of us really knew we were Uncle and Niece yet.