twenty-seven

you can't save them all

"Josie? What did you do?"

Josie's hair, now black, and curled, rustles as she looks up. "I fixed her." Her eyes flash black, and she looks over at me.

"Anna," He whispers as I speed towards them. Jade was suddenly sprawled on the floor, and I look at Josie. I had just woke up, alone. Josie had broken the Sandclock. She wasn't the same as before. She was different. She felt...darker. The black magic she had absorbed changed her.

I paused. Why hadn't it done the same to me that it had done to her?

For years, my family practically practiced black magic, I mean that's what Mikaelson witches do. My mother and fathers parents being witches that used dark magic themselves. Hope and I had the Hollow running through our veins only a few years ago. Black magic wouldn't affect me the way it did Josie. I just can't tell if that's good or bad.

Josie and I walk on either side of Dr. Saltzman, a darkness brewing between the two of us. "What exactly did you do to Jade? Josie, talk to me."

"Lizzie's this way. I can feel her." Josie states.

"Why did you break the Sandclock?"

Josie and I stop. "I can't remember." She confesses.

"Well, are you okay? I mean, are you in pain?" He looks at me. "And, I mean, you're neck was practically ripped to shreds."

I nod. "I'm sore, but I'm okay." I say. He notices my blackened veins.

"What happened?" He asks softly. "Are you guys hurt?"

"No. For the first time in my life, everything feels clear." Josie says. Her eyes turn black as she points to a crashed car. "There."

Alaric nods me along, and we both run. "Lizzie." He shouts. I speed over, ripping off the door. "It's okay, honey. Easy does it."

"Dad," Lizzie pants. We see a shard of glass in her stomach. "Something's wrong. It feels like my mind is breaking." When she opens her eyes, theyre black.

"It's okay. Easy does it." Alaric soothes. "We need to get you to the hospital. Everything's gonna be just fine."

I watch closely. "Dad, I drank vampire blood. Please don't let me die." Lizzie pleads.

"You're not gonna die." He says slowly. I bite my lip, knowing whatever was growing inside of me, it wasn't good.

But we had to save Lizzie first.