twelve

there's a mummy on main street

"Dr. Saltzman, this van is very... white of you." Kaleb says awkwardly.

This van was huge. Lizzie and Hope sat in the row behind Alaric and Kaleb, Josie and I in the third row, and Emma and Dorian sat in the row behind us. It was a nice van, just, crowded with our things. "It's retro." Alaric hums back at Kaleb.

"It's a gas-guzzling atrocity on wheels." Lizzie snaps, obviously annoyed she had to sit by Hope.

Speaking of Hope, she sighs as she sits up. "I brought snacks." She says, placing the large bag in her lap.

"Oh, sweet. Did you pack them before or after you decided to FOMO your way onto our trip?" Lizzie asks coldly.

Hope raises her brows. "Like I'm gonna let you guys chase monsters without me?"

"I would've thought you wanted to spend the break canoodling with your hipster boyfriend." Lizzie snarls at my sister.

Hope rolls her eyes. "Sorry for wanting to protect the outside world from my mistakes." She snaps. "And Annie was invited!"

"Because Annie is Josie's girlfriend and she's significantly nicer than you." Lizzie snaps.

I smile, "I feel so loved." I hum, wrapping an arm around Josie. She smiles at me from her headphones.

"Want one?" She asks, holding out an earpiece. I smile, taking it.

"You know, there's currently an urn on a river cruise spreading plagues across America because I thought a unicorn was cute." Hope snaps. "It's called accountability. Maybe there's a bracelet for it." I hiss, making burn sound as Lizzie scoffs.

"Or maybe you just wanted to ruin yet another Saltzman spring break."

"When have I ever ruined a spring break?" Hope asks.

"Girls?" Alaric calls out. "We're gonna be in this classic automobile for six hours, all right? So, no bickering."

"It would help if it wasn't a thousand degrees in here. I'm burning up." Hope complains.

Lizzie looks at her "You're burning up. Now, that's ironic." She chuckles.

"What does that even mean?" Hope asks, confused.

"Don't play dumb." Lizzie frowns. "I see you. I see right through you."

Hope shrugs. "I don't know what you're talking about. What happened to playing nice?"

Lizzie turns back to the front. "Over. Done. I'm getting back to me. I am who I am." She looks behind her. "Right, Josie?" She frowns, patting Josie's leg. "Josie?"

Josie lifts her head off my shoulder, "Sorry?"

"Josie, you cannot leave me alone with just her for company." Lizzie hisses.