Chapter 6: First Hide-and-Seek

"I'm back--"

Little Superman returned, running towards the spot where he left the crying girl, but now, she's nowhere to be found.

"Where are you hiding?" He looked behind the shrubs and bushes but there was no one there.

"I didn't even get her name." He sadly said to himself while sitting on the patch of grass she sat on.

He suddenly felt something.

~

"Mom and Dad, please, let's not go yet." Kim Rowoon's cherry lips pouted in exaggeration while tugging his mom's hand.

"Gwammy needs her rest. Plus, we need to go to the grocery store now because we still have a few things to get for your birthday party later. By the way, did you love Gwammy's gift for you? A hanky with your initials on it. She's handsewn it especially for you."

"Of course, Mom! I love Gwammy's gift. It's so special to me. I'll keep it forever." His irresistible charm always works for his benefit. Now, if he only knows if he will be able to get it back at all, that would be really nice.

His mom lovingly hugged him. He appreciates her sweet touch but his mind is elsewhere.

It's his fifth birthday today.

Rowoon grew up alone and having no siblings to play with him. He loves the undivided attention from his parents but there are days when it gets really lonely.

Last month, he made three wishes for his birthday, which he told to his parents.

First, he wanted to be able to visit his beloved great grandmother, his jeungjo halmeoni. He thought, there's a reason why she's called 'great'. She has spoiled him rotten the moment he was born, being her only great grandchild. Now that she's sick, he wanted to shower his halmeoni with lots of hugs and love. Wish granted.

Second, he wanted a birthday party with his friends in the neighborhood, a group of energetic and playful boys his age. I mean, who doesn't want a party, right? That wish is just about to get granted in a bit.

Third and lastly, he wanted a sister. Everyone in school has been talking about the love they get from their older siblings or how they play with their younger brothers and sisters. He can only live vicariously through their stories. He has asked his parents countless times about his request--a baby sister to be exact.

But one day, they had a serious talk with little Rowoon. Mommy can't have another baby anymore. His dreams were shattered but that didn't stop him from wishing. They say miracles do happen.

They then went to the grocery store to grab some last minute stuff like party hats, poppers, candies, and marshmallows. His mom allowed him to grab anything he wants--but just for today.

He excitedly grabbed his own cart and raced his way towards the candy area. He suddenly caught a glimpse of a familiar figure in the cookie aisle.

He stepped on the invisible brakes of his cart and steered his way back.

Dressed in light pink shirt and white shorts, her long black hair swayed as she ran towards what seemed like her father.

"Hey!" Rowoon called her in a loud whisper.

She didn't hear.

Pushing the cart faster, he followed the father and daughter pair. They are now at the condiments aisle. The father was studying the 234 brands of soy sauce in front of him while the girl was just suggesting him to get the bottle with the most colorful label.

He's hoping she'd turn around. He needed to see her face so badly.

Just when she was about to look his way to check on something, his mom called him.

"Rowoon! Did you get what you like already? Your dad and I are nearly done."

"Not yet Mom, five minutes please?" He hurriedly uttered.

Just when he turned back to check her, they're gone.