Chapter 12: First Panic

Rowoon woke up with much excitement. It was a new day, a new chance to do his craft, to pursue his passion.

His dad wanted him to focus on his studies, excel in academics and eventually get accepted in medical school. He wanted his only son to be a doctor.

But Rowoon had another profession in mind. He wanted to entertain people. It ignites his purpose in life. Whenever he gets to make people smile, he feels so alive. He knows that for a few minutes, he could make them forget their problems.

He wanted to be a real artist--and he's thankful for having his mom's support for his passion. He promised himself he's going to make his dad proud one day.

Thankfully, he was bestowed with countless talents--he can sing, dance, and act.

He also knows he has the looks and the height--a good foundation if you wanted to stick out in the competitive Korean entertainment industry.

He had so many plans in his young life that he'd written everything down so that he won't forget a single one.

1. Create a YouTube channel and do dance covers, song covers, or both.
2. Send out audition videos to S.M, YG, FNC, and Big Hit Entertainment
3. Be an achiever at academics while maintaining theater organization membership in school
4. Join a theater camp--CHECK
5. Look for a manager
6. Audition for a drama or movie
7. Make parents proud
8. Enjoy each step
9. Make people happy
10. Find...xxx

The day he left for camp, his heart was at its heaviest. His dad didn't want him to join stuff like this as it would divert his attention from studying. Despite their lengthy discussion on why he loves doing arts, his father just can't get it.

He held his tears on his way to the bus and managed to keep himself together. He wanted to be alone on the way to the camp, but found out that there was only one seat left.

Rowoon was grateful for that day--the day he was seated next to Hyeyoon. She may not be aware of it but she made the day bearable for him. She made him forget about his troubles and worries, his heavy heart and clouded mind.

There was something in her that he can't quite put a finger on. It felt like he has already seen her before, a point in time in the far past. But he doesn't know where to start, what to ask. He might be tagged as a weirdo for suddenly asking such stuff out of the blue.

How can you start enjoying someone's company only after hours of being together?

The need to take care of the budding friendship with Hyeyoon was too big not to notice.

Familiar yet impossible.

There's something when there's actually nothing.

Whatever it is, he has already decided that he will make the best out of the camp. He'll take all the learnings to heart and will treasure everything that's connected to it--the place, the people, the mentors, the experiences...and unexpectedly, the girl who just became his friend.

~

Right after they were paired, they were given a script to memorize individually. Memorization is one crucial part of acting. They were given the time to memorize their lines and be back the next day.

Rowoon almost didn't sleep. He was up all night rehearsing his lines. He was hoping that Hyeyoon is doing the same.

That morning, he can't wait to see her. He almost ran to the theater so they can rehearse together.

The small room was packed and everyone almost seemed to be there already. Smiling, he searched for her small, pretty face. He can clearly remember it from yesterday, almost always looking annoyed at him--cutely annoyed, that is.

But she's nowhere to be found.

"Excuse me, Ruru-eonni, have you seen my acting partner, Hyeyoon?"

"Ahh..." Park Ruru looked at the class list and photo for reference. "I don't think she's here yet. Please check cabin number 2. Maybe she's still there."

Rowoon jogged out of the theater. He can't contain his excitement in practicing his lines with her.

He knocked on the door of cabin 2.

"Hyeyoon?"

He braced himself for her shouting to shut up and wait for her. He was laughing at the scenario he's making up in his mind.

A couple of minutes passed and there was still no sign of an impatient girl inside the cabin.

"Ya! Hyeyoon?" He started another round of knocking. His knuckles were already starting to hurt so he had to stop. 'Maybe we went at the same time and I just didn't see her? Aish. It's my fault that I can't wait.'

He ran back to the theater.

"I'm sure she's here." He doesn't know if it's a statement or a question to no one in particular.

One of the Hyeyoon's cabin roomie raised her hand. "She mentioned earlier that she's going to check something in the woods."

Rowoon's eyes opened big like saucers.

He bolted out into the woods, not sure where exactly to go but knowing exactly what to do.

"Ya! Hyeyoon noona!" Shouting to the top of his lungs while being so worried and helpless, he still managed to tease her. "Noonaaaaaa! Hyeyoon noonaaa!"

There was no sign of life--only the rustling sound of dried leaves, the early morning breeze, and the sweet chirping of the birds.

He stopped and rested breathlessly after aimlessly looking for her while still maintaining safe distance from the cabins.

"Aish, where did this girl go? How can we practice now? I'll make sure she pays for--"

And suddenly, he was stopped by what he saw.