She looks broken

Captain Marvel was in the ancient ruins of a long-forgotten people, in the company of Jane Foster, as much as she believed the woman should not be there. The fragile human was in the advanced stage of a malignant cancer whose months she had stopped fighting. She knew she would not recover and most of all did not want to spend her last moments of life in a hospital.

It was through her instance and research that Jane found that place. A story from over twenty years ago that caught her eye, where a sympathetic reporter told her about some antique objects that were mysteriously found by locals. But it turns out that such objects contained non-Earth symbols, as well as strange seals surrounding them, as if to ward off a terrible evil. By exploring the region further discovered these ruins and she called the Captain because she wasn't crazy enough to go into strange catacombs alone.

They had been down there for a few hours now, reading the stories on the walls, trying to understand their meanings, and marveling at the many curiosities these ancient people told.

There were drawings of plantations or seasons, of gold and precious stones, friends and enemies of that people, of the great and prosperous kingdom that were before they were suddenly destroyed... The ruins were located in southern Chile, but the earliest drawings told stories about Wakanda and how both tribes had been united long before the vibranium landed there, told legends about Atlantis and how a great misfortune fell there when conquerors tried to take over the most precious jewel they kept, told about ancient Egypt and how the three most important pyramids were built with the help of such jewelry. The walls said that the people of Atlantis chose to die rather than hand over the precious stone and that fortunately this ancient kingdom was able to retrieve the jewel and bring it here without the invaders knowing.

It was not too difficult to imagine what happened to this civilization if what the images told was true. Jane and the Captain wondered if the jewel was actually taken to Africa when this Kingdom was destroyed or if such conquerors managed to steal it. They also wondered how four kingdoms so far apart could communicate and reach each other's territory so quickly.

The women were already several feet below the surface, walking very slowly out of respect for Jane, who even carried an oxygen cylinder with her for the difficulty in breathing she felt.

Ahead of them the images were gone, and a large, well-carved, destroyed portal led them straight into what appeared to be a great royal hall. The Captain lifted the large stone that blocked part of the way, waiting for Jane to pass.

The human could hardly see this place, but for the strongest avenger it was one of the most beautiful places she could ever see. Strangely different plants still grew where they had previously been programmed to sprout in harmony with the environment and without trying to take over the space, water flowed quietly from a small fountain and little could be seen of the exposed paintings of that place. At the center of everything was a throne, perhaps the most striking piece of the room: imposing and grand, was visibly made for a powerful commander to sit upon it.

-It seems Asgard always has a connection with my findings. - Jane muttered in amusement as she stared at Odin's broken figure in part of the collapsed building.

-These people don't seem to like the Asgardians very much. - The Captain commented indicating some of the few drawings visible on the walls, the Father of All was portrayed as a fearsome and destructive monster, someone whose name was a protagonist of their horror stories.

After a short investigation around the region they came to the conclusion that there was nothing more to be seen in that place, the other passages were blocked and even though it was possible to remove the stones that prevented both to continue, the corridors after they had long since collapsed.