Chapter 4

[A/N]: Happy New Year!

"Where are we going, mommy?" The little boy asked his mom.

The pair was driving away from the police station after the incident. Jennie is having a headache while being with this little boy. She just want a stress-free birthday but here she goes, taking care of a lost child. What makes her more stressed is he's a brilliant and very stubborn boy.

She is not fond of children but she loves babies. Children are curious beings, they are very energetic and naughty. Her short patience like her height can't handle their playfulness. She might just leave them on street.

This little boy came out of nowhere. Jennie doesn't know if the child is telling the truth about his identity. She got trust issues, but the little boy looks harmless. Plus, she felt an unfamiliar feeling in this boy, something that warms her heart.

"Since you don't want to go home, I'm going to buy you new clothes."

"I have many clothes."

"No, I mean look at your coat." The little boy obliged and looked at his coat.

"It's my favorite coat!" 

Jennie rolled her eyes at the little boy's response. "There's a stain of whatsoever white thing it is. Looks like bird poop to me."

Lucas also sees the white stain on his coat. He remembers the Jipangyi he ate earlier. "It's an ice cream stain. I bought it earlier with the only money I had."

She rolled her eyes, and the little boy copies her and rolled his eyes too.

Jennie noticed the little boy was laughing at her. She glared at him but the little boy continue making fun of his mother.

"Mommy you said the ice cream looks a poop. Does a bird ever poop on you?"

"What the?!" Jennie was trying her best to focus her attention on the road, and this child's silliness will be the cause of their death.

"Will you please be quiet? We will get into an accident if you're noisy."

"Okay, mommy," Lucas then stops talking. He looks outside the window where he can see the beautiful city of Seoul, but his mind is still wondering if a bird has ever pooped on Jennie.

"But mommy you did not answer my question."

That time Jennie wanted to stop the car and kick the little boy out.

"If I answer that will you stop talking?" Jennie questioned back.

The little boy just nodded. He even motioned his hand trying to zip his mouth.

"Yes, I have been when I was a kid."

"They said if a bird poops on you, you will not grow taller," Lucas said smiling at Jennie. He is teasing his mother's height because she is small compared to those women she met.

"No, they said it's a goodlu— wait are you making fun of my height?!"

Mommy is so cool! 

---

"Lucas, walk faster, I have dinner with my parents at 6,"

Jennie called out the little boy who's in dazed in front of a store.

"Lucas." The little boy still ignored her.

"Lucas!" 

"I want that bear, mommy."

"No. I have a dinner date with my parents."

"Can I come?"

"Yes but no teddy bear for you. I already bought you a new set of clothes." Jennie thought that she spends too much money on a stranger she just met. Which she would never do to someone. By looking at the clothes Lucas is now wearing, she just spends a thousand dollars on the little boy's coat alone.

"Then I will stay here. Will you buy me a teddy bear?" He looks at her mother. They were already walking to the parking lot of the mall.

Jennie stopped on her track when she heard the little boy. She's always dumbfounded by his statement. She analyzes the situation they are in right now. The little boy is annoying, and she can't really handle him. 

She doesn't have any plans to settle down or have children sooner. No, in her lifetime. Babysitting was something that doesn't interest her though she find babies cute. Having Lucas sticking on her side right on her birthday was a great shock to her. 

"Okay." Jennie made her decision and went straight to her car. She drives her car out of the parking lot with a heavy heart. She tried her best not to look in the little boy's direction but she failed. 

Lucas was standing in the same spot. Tears are falling out of his eyes.

Jennie stops her car and runs to the little boy. She immediately embraces him, and whispered, "I'm sorry my little boy."

Lucas didn't hear her though. He was unmoved by her actions. In his mind, his daddy leave and made a promise, but she never came back. Now, Jennie also leaves her alone on a winter afternoon.

"Why are you crying, little boy?" 

The little boy continues to cry.

"You want the new teddy bear?" 

Lucas shook his head.

"You also left, you too don't want Lucas!" He cries louder.

It breaks Jennie's heart to see the little boy cry. She regretted the decision to leave him alone outside the mall. Even if she doubts his identity, it's still dangerous for a child. Even more dangerous because it's winter. She shouldn't make hasty decisions just because she wants to get rid of him.

"I'm sorry." Jennie once again told the little boy. "I promise I won't leave you again."

She hugs him tighter, reassuring him that she won't go away.

"Promises are fake, I don't believe those." Jennie understands the reasoning of the little boy. She wants to make it up to him, and she will try her best not to leave the little boy again.

"Lucas, after we eat dinner, we are going back to the mall,  we will fill up your tummy first, okay? Stop crying, you will look ugly." The little boy nodded and a faint smile was shown on his face.

"I'm not getting ugly because my mommy and daddy are both pretty!"

"Yes, yes, now will you stop crying?" The little boy nodded eventually.

"Let's go, my mom and dad are waiting." 

Jennie took his hands and they both walk to her car.

[Published]: 191231