34

"It wasn't your fault."

Naguguluhan pa rin ako pero alam kong kailangan ko munang ipamukha kay Kalix na hindi naman niya kasalanan 'yon. He looked so down, blaming himself. I just remembered myself years ago after what happened with Kierra. Sinisi ko rin ang sarili ko noon dahil pakiramdam ko nag-kulang ako. Because of that, I lost myself and walked myself into darkness. I didn't want Kalix to go through the same thing. 

"But how could she do that? Hindi ba against 'yon sa oath n'yo? Sa duties n'yo? You could get her... Ano ulit ang sinabi ni Adonis? Disbarred?" Sunod-sunod na tanong ko. 

"Luna..." Umayos siya ng upo at napangiti sa tanong ko. "Amy fought for it, okay? She did not twist anything. She just... didn't do well on purpose. It would take a great lawyer to win and twist that case."

"Was she great?" Curious na tanong ko. 

"Well..." Tumango siya, mukhang kalmado na ang pag-iisip ngayon. "My ex-boss already offered her the case after I rejected it, then I urged her to take it, used the 'I'll do anything' card. At least Miguel was represented by someone I trusted." 

"And how did you make her do it?" Napakurap ako. 

"Miguel's family was already planning to pin the crime on someone else just to win the case, and they wanted Amy in it. Amethyst was offended. She never played dirty and never planned to. She's also... competitive." 

Of course, she was Amethyst. She was a strong woman in my eyes. Matapang niya nga 'kong kinausap noon at matapang din niyang pinamukha sa harapan ko na ayaw niya sa' kin. She had a strong personality. Bagay sa kanya ang mag abogado. 

"I just said, if she wants to put dirt in her hands, slap it against the right person." He sighed. 

What she did might be against her own morals as a lawyer, but she had no choice. Kung pinanalo niya 'yon, marumi pa rin ang proseso. Pwede pa siyang makasuhan kung lumaro siya kasama ni Miguel. Mas mabuti na siguro 'to. At the very least, they couldn't prove if she did her best or not. She still did her job. 

"Kaya siya pinapadalhan ng death threats? Kasi hindi siya sumunod sa plano?" Tanong ko ulit at tumango siya. "How was that your fault?" 

"Because if I didn't urge her to take it, she wouldn't." Napailing si Kalix. "She was planning to resign too so she could join me in my firm but she stayed there to take the case." 

"Kung ni-reject niya ba 'yon, sigurado ka bang mapapanalo ng susunod na kukuha ng kaso?" I asked again. 

"We have a lot of great lawyers in the firm. You don't know how many of them are willing to win that case and turn against their morals. It could've been their biggest break. Their names and faces will be everywhere. The dream..." He laughed sarcastically. 

That might be one of the reasons why he left. Hindi niya gusto ang mga kasamahan niya roon dahil pakiramdam niya madumi na. Well, hindi na siguro maiiwasan.