Part 11

WILL

Nico brings me and Reve lunch at some point throughout the day, but I'm so caught up in work that I barely even register him coming and leaving.
I finally finish up with George, leaving him to sleep with Reve and Kayla to look after him.
I leave the infirmary only to find Nico lying on the bench just outside, a hat covering his face to block out the sun that is only now starting to go down.
'Nico.' I say, shaking him lightly. He shoots up, jolting awake, 'Hey, just me.'
'Will, Hey.' He says, rubbing his eyes and yawning, 'I fell asleep.'
'I can see that.' I say, helping him sit up, 'dinner?'
'Yes. Perfect.' He says. I take his hat from him and put it on myself. He smiles a little but doesn't stop me.
We wander up to the dining area, and for once he sits on the Apollo cabin with my siblings as we all discuss tactics for capture the flag.
Nico's quiet for the majority of the meal, just listening to the conversation. He's bad at interacting in big groups and I don't push him. He holds my hand under the table the entire time.
'The time has come,' Chiron says as we finish our dinner, 'to choose your teams. Will, Clarrise, please stand.' Nico squeezes my hand before I get up on the table, and Clarrise does the same, 'heads or tails?'
'Tails.' Clarrise says.
'Then Heads.' Will says.
'It's tails. Ares gets first pick.' Chiron says.
'Brilliant.' Clarrise says, and turns to look at me, smiling, 'I choose Hades.'
'What?' Nico asks, confused.
'What?!' I follow up, 'why do you...what?'
'Think I'm just going to let you and your boyfriend band together? He can shadow travel and that is useful. I'm winning this.' Clarrise says, shrugging, 'sorry Will.'
'I...What is going on?' Nico says, looking up at me.
'Very well, the choice is made. Will, your choice.' Chiron explains.
'I...um...Percy.' I say, looking to him. He nods, gives the thumbs up.
'Hephaestus.' Clarrise chooses, instantly.
'Athena.' I say. We keep choosing, back and forth, until everyone is picked. I bend down quickly to talk to Nico before he has to go to his team.
'This sucks.' He says, clearly in a bad mood, 'I thought we'd finally get to spend some time together.'
'I know. I'm sorry. Clarrise sucks.' I say, 'but it'll still be fun. I promise.'
'It's just, you really wanted to win as well.' He says, shaking his head.
'I know, I-' I pause, 'what? We're still going to win.'
'Didn't you hear? I'm on the other team?' He says, standing up and kissing me quickly, 'have we never talked about how competitive I get?'
'We have not.' I say, laughing slightly, 'we'll have to talk about that sometime.'
'Yeah, after I win.' He says, already walking away.
'Not going to happen.' I call after him.
'Alright if your done with the flirting, are you going to tell us what our plan is now that Nico's gone?' Annabeth asks, 'the plan sort of revolves around him, I'm assuming. And I'm also assuming that you told him everything. Am I wrong?'
'You're...not wrong.' I say, suddenly realising that it is very unlikely that this will be the time we win, 'I'll...uh...I'll think of something. Just...uh...just give me a sec.'