Part 37

WILL

Nico is flipped upside down, legs tangled in a rope. I try to grab hold of his hands but he's pulled out of my reach way too quickly. Annabeth and Percy both step in front of me, weapons raised and fully aware that when it comes to fighting I am fairly useless.
'Nico?!' I call out, looking into the shadows to try to catch a glimpse of him.
'I'm here. I'm okay I just think I hurt my ankle or something.' He says from the shadows, 'check we're safe. I'm fine for now.'
'Will, can you shine the light?' Percy asks me, holding his sword up and ready. He's already reassured me that he'd only use the blunt side of his sword, and wouldn't hurt my family at all, but it's still hard to see.
I hold the torch up and do a quick pan of the room. There's no one here.
'What the hell?' Percy asks, 'why would they set a trap like that?'
'I mean, just remember, any of us could be taken over by them at any time. Nico might be up there while being controlled by one of them.' She says.
'Thanks for that, Annabeth. Really love being hung upside down while you accuse me of being the enemy.' Nico says sarcastically.
'Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Nico.' Percy says.
'Yeah okay, well when you guys are ready do you want to maybe think about getting me down from here? Just a thought. If you feel like it.' Nico says again.
'You're good, sunshine.' I say, flashing the torch in his eyes. I see him wince a bit from the light.
'Don't call me sunshine. I call you sunshine.' He says, 'that's not allowed.'
'I don't think you're in much of a position to complain. Sunshine.' I say back.
'Bloody hell.' He says to himself, 'can you all just get me down from here? The blood is rushing to my head.'
'We're on it.' I say, turning round, only to see Annabeth knocking Percy round the back of his head. He drops to the floor like a dead weight.
'Will! Will, what's going on? Are you okay?' Nico calls, urgent and scared.
'Annabeth, don't do it. You're in there. Fight it.' I say, but she readjusts her fingers around a brick she's found on the floor.
'Annabeth! Annabeth don't you fucking do it. Annabeth! Stop! Leave him alone. Will run. Get out!' Nico's yelling frantically, and Annabeth backs me up against the wall.
'Come on Annabeth. Please.' I say, but my voice is weak and I can barely get the words out.
'You should have let us be. I have what I came for now. The boy's link with Persephone is everything I need.'
'What are you talking about?' I ask.
'He has a strong link with Persephone. Almost like an...adoption. She has an ability to create connections between people - that's how he was able to see what we were planning before we'd done it; Persephone's attempt at a warning, I suppose. But it just so happens to be the power I need to finally take a proper form.'
'What do you mean? A proper form?' I ask, 'that's impossible.'
'Will, what the hell's going on?' Nico shouts from above me, 'don't hurt him!'
'Your sisters are half Eidolons. Their father must have been one.' She explains, 'they'll be able to support my form. A permanent host. One of them at least. The other is just a back up, I suppose. Collateral of sorts.'
'You're...you're taking over their body?' I ask, 'why? Why do you want to?'
'I'm so much more powerful than you realise. I've been limited by incompatible hosts. Now...now I can achieve my full potential.' She says, rolling her shoulders and smiling at me.
'Will, I can't see straight...my head...' Nico mumbles from above me.
'You'll be okay. Stay awake.' I shout up at him, aware that he's on the verge of passing out, but needing to know what'll happen.
'Why are you telling me this?'
'I understand your love for them all. Your sisters. Your mum.'
'She's alive?'
'Just about.' She says, 'call me a monster, I am one, I know it. But I thought I owed you some explanation.'
'Don't hurt them. Don't hurt him, please.' I say, looking up to Nico suspended in the shadows.
'No. No I won't. I need him strong. You should be far more worried about yourself.' She says, and finally, without hesitation, knocks me out cold.