Part 25

NICO

Though Will tried to convince me to join him in visiting his family, I let him go alone. I'm awkward enough as it is, I can't imagine what mess I'd get myself into knowing his mum didn't like me.
Instead I force myself into a work out. I've never really been in good shape before; obviously, I'm great at fighting, and I have good stamina, but Will has pointed out that I've basically destroyed my body over the years.
So, reluctantly, I've started trying to exercise more regularly, doing more than just sword fighting.
I've just finished a work out when Percy comes into the training area.
'Look at you.' He says, 'making the rest of us look bad.'
'Doing my best.' I say, still out of breathe, 'you need something?'
'Not exactly. Was just wondering what you were doing now?'
'No current plans. Depends why you're asking.' I say, finishing off a glass of water and standing up.
'It's a surprise.' He says, smiling.
'No. No thanks.' I say quickly, 'no surprises.'
'It's a good surprise.' He insists.
'Absolutely not.' I say, 'I honestly think if you try to surprise me, good or bad, I will die.'
'You're no fun.'
'Well, multiple people have said that I'm the life of the party, so. Check your facts.' I say sarcastically as I finish gathering my things. I stop and look to him, 'what's the surprise?'
'She's almost here.' He says, and my face drops. Everything freezes.
'What?' I ask.
'Annabeth's here! She took an exam early, then decided to come down for a couple days to see you all.' He says, excited. He hesitates when he sees my face, 'that's good news right?'
'Where is she?' I ask, my voice quiet.
'Nico what's wrong?'
'I've had weird dreams. At least I thought they were dreams, because Annabeth was in them and I thought she couldn't come here.' I say, panicked, 'where is she?'
'She's just stopping in to see Jason. She'll be here in a sec. What do you mean dreams?' He asks, suddenly as worried as I am, 'Nico, what the hell is going on?'
'Jason.' I say quietly, as I piece things together, 'he's on duty. He's with Will.'
'Nico, no-' Percy says lurching towards me just as I shadow travel away.
I land in the middle of a burning room. The room I dreamt about.
'Nico!' Will shouts, seeing me appear, he's on his knees, coughing uncontrollably, clutching Gracie, 'Annabeth isn't Annabeth. It's not her. She started the fire.'
'What?' I call back, barely able to process what's going on before I see Jason on his knees, freaking out, his trousers on fire. Annabeth stand behind him, her dagger in hand.
'No, no! Jason!' I call out, just as I figure it all out. Annabeth stabs Jason in his back, over and over. His eyes are wide, his arms go limp. He looks down as blood stains his shirt. He looks up to me, as his eyes go glassy. I feel him die.
'Jason, no!' I yell, trying to get to him, but the fire keeps me back. I watch as Annabeth pushes him into the flames, and looks over to Will. She drops to the ground, unconscious.
'Nico, Nico, we need to get out of here!' Will calls out to me over the roaring flames.
'I can't leave them!' I yell back. I work my way over to Annabeth, pulling her out of any immediate danger. Jason is lost though. I can just make out his body, his face. I scream, yell. Unable to hold it in. I clutch Annabeth to me, keeping her safe. But there's nothing I can do for Jason. I sob, watching, knowing there's nothing I can do. My tears don't leave my eyes, the fire evaporating them instantly.
'Nico, I-' Will says, but he stops. I look up and he stares at me, blank eyes, his voice turns monotone. He grabs hold of Gracie, 'don't look for us, Di Angelo. The girls belong to me.'
'Will, no! No, stop! Leave him, leave him alone!' I yell, watching Gracie struggle against him. It's not Will. Something's taken over his body.
He takes Gracie, and drags her to the cupboard, throwing her inside and then following her through. They go somewhere else.
I realise then, it's the labyrinth. The cupboard's a doorway.
'No. No, no, no.' I say, closing my eyes, the heat burning me, the smoke getting into my lungs. I think of Jason. Burning, 'no, no.'
I know what I have to do. I grab Annabeth, throw her over my shoulder and slowly, precariously, make my way over to the cupboard.
I think back to when I was last in the labyrinth. What I did in there. I can't bring myself to step inside.
The fire is spreading rapidly, we can't stay here much longer. Annabeth's already weak, and I don't have the strength to shadow travel with both of us. I close my eyes, and force my way through.