Part 28

PERCY

I see the smoke long before I reach the house. A whole group of kids stand outside, staring. Clarrise and another Ares boy at the front, keeping people back.
'No.' I say, 'no, no, no.' I barge through the crowd and do my best to force myself over to the house. Clarrise holds me back, alongside her brother, 'she's in there!' I shout at her, resisting with all my strength.
'Percy, don't be an idiot. You can't go in there.' Clarrise says, trying to appeal to me.
'Let me go!' I yell, 'she's in there, she's inside, I can't leave her, I can't.'
'Percy, you'll die.' Clarrisse says, and I can hear her voice break. She's crying. But I don't stop trying to pull past her.
'She can't die.' I insist, still pulling away. People are staring at me now. Watching as I shout over the roaring of the fire, 'I can still get to her. I can get her. Please. Please.'
'Percy. I can't.' Clarrise says. I look at her, and she's staring back. I can see how upset she is. How she wants to go in and help just as I do.
'She can't die.' I say, 'I can't...I can't...' I look up to the house, just as it collapses. I yell, terrified. I fall to my knees, the Ares kids no longer needing to hold me back. I kneel over, sobbing, unable to comprehend what's gone on.
'Percy.' Clarrise says, placing a hand on my shoulder. I don't resist, all I can do is stay where I am, and let other people react for me.
Someone tries to lift me up, but I won't move. After a while I feel a sharp prick in my neck. As I turn, I see Kayla standing behind me. She's crying.
'I'm so sorry, Percy.' She says, and I fall back, unconscious.