Part 41

WILL

Nico helps me out of the infirmary after I insist that I can't stay there anymore. There's nothing to do there, nothing to take my mind off of everything.
We walk, arms linked, down to the lake. Percy lies on the edge of the dock, with his right hand hanging over the edge in the water.
'Percy!' Nico calls out, not wanting to startle him up close. He opens his eyes and props himself up as we walk over to him.
'Will, how're you doing?' He asks.
'Could be better.' I say.
'Sorry. Stupid question.' He replies.
'How's your wrist?' I ask quickly, sitting down beside him as Nico stays standing with his hands in his pockets. I take Percy's wrist in my hands without thinking twice, 'it's practically healed? Still painful, I imagine, but the physical wound has more or less healed?'
'Poseidon.' Percy smiles, carefully moving his wrist round to show it's improvement, 'water always helps.'
'Oh, of course.' I say, remembering his healing ability.
'I don't like to brag about it in front of Nico. He gets jealous.' Percy says.
'I reckon if he can heal in water I should, y'know... heal in graveyards or something.' Nico says, shrugging and only half joking.
'Don't be bitter.' Percy says, flicking Nico with a little bit of water.
'How's Annabeth?' I ask, unable to stop myself. Percy turns serious very quickly. He looks at me intently.
'She feels really bad about what went down. It's not her fault, same deal happened with Leo. With me too. Even though you, and everyone else, knows it wasn't your fault you still blame yourself. It's hard to take the face away from the action.' Percy explains, 'she's doing everything she can to help your sisters.'
'I know. I don't blame her at all.' I say quickly, 'I know it wasn't her fault.'
'Good.' Percy says, relieved, 'we're both really sorry about what happened, either way. It sucks.'
I can only nod. Nico stands behind me with a protective hand on my shoulder.
'Does Annabeth have any leads?' Nico asks.
'Nothing solid yet.' Percy says, 'but she'll find something. I was helping her a couple hours ago but she gets real...uh, particular about certain things when she gets invested in something.'
'She kicked you out?' Nico asks.
'Yeah.' Percy replies, 'but hey. Normally when she kicks me out it means she's onto something.'
'Well that's promising.' Nico says sarcastically.
'It sure is.' Percy replies, 'but until then, there's nothing stopping us from eating and strategising on our own.'
Nico looks to me, 'up to you.' He says.
'Food does sound good.' I say.
'Food it is then.' Nico says, holding out his hand to help lift me up. Percy gets up too, and we all head towards the dining area.