Part 31

WILL

The woman's son spoke better English, but wasn't much of a talker. He drove me as close to camp as he could get, which still left me about two days out of the way.
I walked for as long as I could, before breaking into a crummy road side motel to recharge. I didn't let myself sleep too long. As soon as I felt I could walk again, I did.
I managed to get another lift to cover half the distance, but the rest I spend walking. Constantly aware that I'm an open target.
Luckily, I'm not a strong demigod. So I don't attract as much attention from monsters as Nico would. But I also don't have his fighting ability, so if anything does come in practically useless.
The worst I get (and with still half a day of walking left it's pretty bad) is a twisted ankle. I spend several minutes cursing at various Gods, and the next attempting to create some sort of splint.
I force myself to walk through the pain all the way back. I can't imagine what people will see when I turn up; a limping, dirty, unkempt boy with clothes ripped to shreds. But I don't care. I have to get back to camp.
When I finally arrive it's dark, and I have to take a break beside Thalia's tree for a moment. I realise how tired I am. I almost fall asleep there and then. But I force myself to keep going.
I limp past the infirmary, despite my better judgements, and over to Nico's cabin. I don't even knock, just go right in.
Nico is up in an instant, and moves too fast for me to process. He's got the knife he keeps under his pillow out and against my neck in a second, and has dropped it the next. He's kissing me before I realise what's going on.
'Where the hell have you been?' He says, angrily, pushing me back slightly, 'for Gods' sake.'
'Hi.' Is all I can say, raising my hand to his hair. I lean against his wall.
'Are you hurt?' He asks suddenly, 'where have you been? Are you okay?'
'I'm fine.' I say, but I find my image blurring at the edges of my eyes, 'fine.'
'Will, Hey, stay with me. Talk to me.' He says, putting my arm around his shoulder and then hoisting me up.
'I was in Mexico.' I say, doing as he says, 'I sprained my ankle. I made a splint but it broke a lot.'
'When did you last sleep?' He asks, hurrying outside and over to the infirmary.
'I don't...it was at a motel...a couple days ago.' I say, nestling my head into his shoulder.
'Is it safe if you fall asleep?' He asks, 'do you have head injuries? Is that what I should be asking?'
'It's safe. Don't worry. I'll be okay, nothing...' I yawn, closing my eyes, 'nothing life threatening.'
'Okay. Okay, we're going to get you better, okay?' He says, but I'm asleep before we get to the infirmary.