11

A trace of surprise leaked from Zuiju's eyes.

Zuiju removed her fingers from Pingting's wrist before directing her sparkling, bright eyes to look at Pingting.

There was smile in Pingting's lips, one full of sweetness that could not be easily dispersed. She nodded gently.

Zuiju sucked in a long breath, whispering, "When did you know?"

"When I grew suspicious, I took my own pulse."

"No wonder you refused to let the doctor take your pulse." Zuiju studied her deeply before sighing, "Miss, you messed around far too much. You knew yet still did something like refusing to eat. If the Duke was really heartless, then wouldn't two lives have died in vain?" She shook her head in disapproval, asking again, "Does the Duke know?"

Pingting hadn't always been a romantic yet now she was unusually shy. She lowered her voice, "Can I personally tell him?"

Zuiju thought a little and nodded her head. "Fine. But let me tell Miss first, you have already ruined your body enough. From now on, you have to be carefully nursed back to health and eat a proper diet, all under my instructions. You mustn't play qin in the snow or stargaze in the cold wind. If you don't listen to me, I will get the Duke to come over and have him ban you from moving. You will not even be allowed get out of the bed."

The more she said, the more serious she was. Pingting couldn't help laughing and softened her voice, "Understood. Pingting knows she was wrong."

Her voice was melodius, and her posture was elegant. She had a faint smile, her brows and eyes relaxed. With her soft words, Zuiju couldn't continue to scold her but helplessly shake her head in exasperation.

In her heart, Zuiju sighed, as she realised that this was what a charming, unrivalled beauty was like. When they were finally in role, they were unstoppable unmatched romantics that could not be resisted by anyone.

She had the ability to make Chu Beijie happy and the ability to make Chu Beijie worried. Zuiju was still sighing to herself when a glimpse of Chu Beijie entering the room made her hurriedly stand up.

"Duke's here."

"Have you taken her pulse?" Chu Beijie asked, "How is her sickness?"

Zuiju's eyes flicked towards Pingting, replying, "Nothing much, she just has to carefully restore her health back. Zuiju will now leave to prescribe the medicine." She left the room, giving Pingting an opportunity to be alone with Chu Beijie.

Pingting leaned on the bed, her eyes following Chu Beijie's every movement. She watched Chu Beijie lean towards her. He revealed a more delighted smile than usual. She took the initiative and tugged at Chu Beijie's sleeve, saying, "Sit here Duke, Pingting has something to tell you."

As Chu Beijie sat down, Pingting's gaze fell on the sword on his hand. "Is the Duke going to practice? Why are you holding onto your precious sword?" she asked curiously.

"I'm going to hurry back to the capital." Chu Beijie looked deeply into the eyes of the most beautiful woman and handed the sword to her. "Do you still recognise this sword? I have two swords, one is Parting Soul, which has been given to He Xia to symbolise the five-year truce to Gui Le. This is Divine Spirit, a set with Parting Soul."

When Pingting heard that Chu Beijie was going to leave, her face was wiped of its original joy. She took the heavy sword, lowered her head to stare at the exquisite patterns on the scabbard and was speechless.

Chu Beijie then said, "It is remote here, so I leave Moran and the guards here to protect you. If...if the unthinkable happens here, send someone by a fast horse with this sword to the Dragon Tiger Barracks twenty miles north of here and ask General Chen Mu to help. He recognises my sword."