43

Seeing He Xia, she half-sighed, half-exclaimed, "Yet only such a great qin could be worthy of being played by Bai Pingting."

He Xia gave Yaotian a spoilt smile but didn't say anything, using his gentle gaze to touch her heart.

Pingting tested the sound until she felt calm enough. She raised her head, "What would Princess like to hear?"

"Picking a song is too much of an important task for me and must be placed on someone familiar with qin." Yaotian's gaze softly fell on He Xia's face and she faintly said, "Please choose for me, Prince Consort."

He Xia thought for a while, asking, "Is Spring Scenes okay?"

Pingting nodded, closing her eyes in concentration. She collected her thoughts before quietly opening her eyes quiet'y again. An additional spark of undeniable confidence shown.

She placed her hands softly on the strings before plucking familiarly at it.

The tone was different to before. It was a lively, playful sound that jumped into the eardrums.

Suddenly everything was full of life.

The qin sound was everywhere. Although it was winter, the winter chill seemed to be gone. It seemed that time hurried along, making people think that the season after winter, spring, had arrived.

Even the drones did not become irritated. It was like the continuous spring rain, gently and lively pattering on the walls.

Without a trace of impurity, without a trace of heaviness.

Everything was cheerful.

The birds chirped and flew throughout the forest as tender grass shoots appeared in the wet soil from the melting snow and ice. Everything, ready to put on a new coat.

Then silence, the little animals peeped out of their caves. They hurled towards the outside world not long later, greeting the first shy blossom in the forest.

Each act of spring was presented and expanded with the rich sound of qin. It seemed even the air was filled with the sweet scent of mud.

The people in the room listened, mesmerised and enchanted by the sights of three months' worth of spring.

The qin sound began to fell, as if the day was over.

The birds returned back to their nests; the small animals were now exhausted and went to look for an area to rest with clean water. The grass seemed to have grown very tall in just a day as the old trees calmly watched over them, smiling profoundly. A squirrel curled in its leaves, asleep.

After bustling activity came well deserved rest.

After a long pause, Yaotian finally shook herself awake. She sincerely praised, "I'm shocked the world has such fine qin sound. It must sound even better to Prince Consort, who has much better ears than mine and as a companion of Miss Bai since childhood."

Pingting received the praise but did not appear to look proud. She respectfully replied, "Pingting is currently living in the Prince Consort Residence. If Princess would like to listen to qin, summon me any time."

Yaotian took this quite well and she nodded, smiling. "That sounds very good. Could you play more?"

"Of course. What would Princess like to hear?"

Yaotian thought for a little, asking, "Since that was about the scenes of spring, what about the other seasons? Do they have pieces too?"

"Yes. They are Summer Colours, Autumn Circadas and Winter Words."