44

"I'll accompany you to the Princess Residence."

Yaotian's chest felt bitter but she kept her emotions restrained after remembering her title. She shook her head, "No need."

The words were harsh and she knew that He Xia heard them. He stiffened and his intelligent eyes shifted to her.

Yaotian seemed to feel unnerved by his gaze. She deemed He Xia very important in her life and knew that if she gave him the impression of an annoying, naggy wife, then she would never have another chance at getting his love in her lifetime. She quickly hid her dissatisfaction and turned away. "Who isn't watching on the way? We're married, yet we still accompany you here and there like outsiders..."

He Xia began to gently chuckle. "Princess is thinking too much. We are married, not outsiders at all. If you're afraid of people laughing, then at least allow me to accompany you to the residence doors."

Yaotian didn't argue any more, revealing a girly smile as she let him take her hand.

The two lovingly walked until the main door. He Xia had offered countless sweet and tender words, putting a flower-like smile on Yaotian's face.

The royal guards outside had already prepared the carriage and the path home had been lit with flickering candles, bright like daytime.

He Xia personally helped Yaotian to board the carriage, squeezing a few more words in before standing at one side, watching the strong royal carriage team head in the direction of the Royal Residence in the silence of the night.

When the carriage was far away, reducing to a small dot in the distance, He Xia finally went in.

It was already deep within the night, and the earth was quiet.

Just like Pingting's qin, winter was silent.

Not heading back towards his own bedroom, he did not stop until he reached Pingting's bedroom. He entered the room and saw a frightened figure stand up from the bed. When she saw his face clearly, she hurriedly bowed, "Prince Consort." Unease was hidden in the depths of her eyes.

He Xia recognised her as Pingting's maid. He glanced at her, not particularly caring, and then moved towards Pingting's face, who laid on the bed.

His gaze became gentle.

Zuiju had been accompanying Pingting. She knew that He Xia's bedroom was on the other side of the residence and had not guessed that he would arrive at this time. Seeing He Xia walk to the bedside, Zuiju unwillingly moved away and stepped back. After all, he was the owner of this place.

He Xia didn't bother with the maid. He sat on the bed, carefully examining Pingting's pale white face. It had become a lot thinner.

He reached out, gently touching Pingting's face.

Zuiju looked at them, her hands and feet clenched into fists as her heart thumped wildly.

A man and woman in the dead of the night, not to mention in the privacy of a bedroom. It was so indecent that the skies would have cowered in shame.

Zuiju studied every movement He Xia made. Every touch and action around Pingting made Zuiju extremely nervous. She dearly wished that his fingers would leave her as soon as possible but was terrified that if they left, they would grope for an even creepier place.

Duke, what should I do?

If you don't come, a storm will.

For the first time in her life, Zuiju felt an extreme hatred and anger towards Chu Beijie.