31

"Miss Bai..."

Pingting turned towards her and smiled. The collected smile was more heartbreaking than hysterical crying.

But this thing had become something that had to be said now.

Zuiju stared at her, not letting any hesitation into her eyes. She felt a cold north wind sweep into her chest. It was cold enough to freeze her solid.

She thought her words carefully before opening her mouth. "Because of the death of the two princes, the King is currently without an heir. It would be good if the King's other concubines are able to give birth to a prince that can succeed the throne. If not, the Duke will one day become the owner of Dong Lin."

Just a few phrases sent Zuiju's chest heaving as if fearing that her own will was not strong enough. She didn't dare let her gaze waver and continued to firmly look at Pingting.

"Go on," replied Pingting in a light voice.

"If Miss' unborn child is a boy, then he will be the oldest son of the Duke."

"Zuiju," Pingting's eyes finally became serious as they rested on her face, "what are you trying to say?"

Zuiju stiffened and bowed her head in deep thought for a few moments. She suddenly bit hard on her lip, letting the bloody taste flow through her teeth. She lowered her voice, "Miss clearly understands that this child's identity is important to Dong Lin. He Xia is a formidable man, so Miss must not ever let the Duke's flesh and blood fall into his hand." Her words were straight to the point, no room for disagreement. She turned towards the bowl of warmed medicine on the table behind her and brought it to Pingting.

Pingting's gaze fell on the murky black concoction, and her first reaction was to take a step back.

"Miss, your child is very young, and the Duke does not know yet. You and the Duke are still young." Zuiju carried the medicine and took another menacing step.

Pingting's vision was suddenly blurred. She protected her lower abdomen and hurriedly took four or five steps back until she met the wall. As her backbone hit the cold wall, she managed to calm down. She stood up a little straighter, looked at the medicine and said, "By the end of the sixth, the Duke will definitely hurry back."

"And what if he doesn't?"

Pingting grinded her teeth, stressing each syllable, "He will definitely be back."

"But what if he really can't hurry back in time?" Zuiju hardened her heart, remaining ruthless.

The silence was choking, overpowering everything.

Pingting glared hard at Zuiju.

Her nails had dug into her palms, oblivious to pain.

Her eyes were no longer rippling gentle waves. They were more like flowing black mercury gradually solidifing into black stones. Her eyes were strong and decisive with the faint flickering of light.

"If he really doesn't arrive in time," Pingting lifted her white neck proudly, "and the moon passes half the sky, then I shall drink it."

Zuiju studied Pingting carefully, exhaling a deep breath.

She put the bowl of medicine on the table, knelt down and heavily thumped her head three times. She then went out the door, without saying another word.

The physician then stumbled into the side room, fell onto the pillows on a small bed and wept.

Chu Beijie was still wildly galloping in the darkness. The hills rolled past him, each one creating the illusion of the secluded residence that was still out of sight.