12

Zuiju surprisedly measured Pingting's expression. She relaxed her voice, "Moran once said that Miss has the sight of a thousand miles. Listening to Miss' tone, perhaps you already have some clues about what is happening?"

"Clues about what?" Pingting's smile was wry. "I have been without news of the outside world for a long time now."

Yangfeng's last letter only mentioned that she and Ze Yin had gone into a life of seclusion with no other details.

Perhaps Yangfeng didn't want to tire her body and mind by participating in those annoying battles for power.

Bei Mo had been at war with both Dong Lin and Gui Le once, resulting in massive damage to the troops. Until now, the only country that had the potential to challenge Dong Lin was Yun Chang which had always been outside the picture.

However, why did Yun Chang shift from its national policy of defense and non-attack towards threatening the powerful military of Dong Lin?

She turned back and saw Zuiju, a gentle smile escaping from her face. "Don't worry, no matter what happens, there are two things I'm absolutely sure about."

Zuiju couldn't help asking, "Which two?" after hearing her soft voice full of confidence.

"First, no matter how powerful the enemy is, the Duke can still gain victory."

Zuiju agreed with this point and she nodded. "Then the second?" she asked again.

"The second?" Pingting's eyes brightened, revealing a hint of pride. "No matter where the Duke is, as long as I am in danger, he will definitely come back to me in time."

Zuiju was stunned.

Why did this smart, tough girl who tested the Duke over and over again put so much confidence in the Duke's affection at this time?

Pingting approved of Zuiju's stunned expression, revealing two shallow dimples. She lazily stretched out, "As long as these two points are guaranteed, why should I waste energy on other things? Ah, Zuiju, you must look after the child properly in my tummy so when the Duke returns, I can tell him the good news super healthy and glowing."

Zuiju answered and went outside to look at the herbs she had brewed for Pingting. When she reached the courtyard, she happened to see Moran who had just sent off Chu Beijie.

Moran said, "The Duke has left. Why is your expression so strange? Has anything happened to Miss Bai?"

Her expression was a little nervous.

Zuiju shook her head and seriously thought for a while, revealing an expression exclusive to teenage girls. She faintly sighed, "I now understand that a woman finding the man of her dreams is something seriously reassuring."

She sighed consecutively several more times, both sentimentally and enviously. She then went to see the herbs, leaving behind a baffled Moran.

Chu Beijie was on the roads on a fast horse, moving rapidly away from the secluded area like an agile pigeon flapping its wings in the sky.

This general, one who shook the four countries, was soon away from the mountains and forests of seclusion, bringing his distinguished presence back into the world once more.

At Dong Lin's Royal Residence, the majestic King of Dong Lin slowly paced back and forth in the, accompanied by only four personal maids. The Queen of Dong Lin stopped her track at the wooden door and held her maids back, entering alone.

"King," she slowly sat on the Dong Lin King's bed, looking at her husband's face. The Queen of Dong Lin asked, her voice full of concern, "Does King not feel better after eating the genius Doctor Huo's pills?"

The King of Dong Lin let out a comforting smile and held the Queen's wrist, "Sorry I made my Queen worry." His gaze shifted towards the empty doorway, "Any news from my Brother?"

"I just received the news. The Duke of Zhen-Bei has already left and will soon arrive at the capital." The Queen relayed the news from the reporting letter. "He did not take any men and left alone. I have already ordered the Senior Offical to pass on the instructions to the town officials, so they can properly look after of him."

She paused, before lowering her eyes. "The Duke of Zhen-Bei...as expected, left Pingting behind."

"It's because he doesn't want to hurt you. He doesn't want Bai Pingting to appear before us, therefore has reluctantly left his woman behind." The King of Dong Lin coughed twice, his pale face revealing an unnatural shade of red. His eyes darkened, "Has everything been prepared?"

The Queen nodded, helplessly sighing. She softly comforted him, "Don't blame yourself, King. Any member of the royal family would consider it an honor to sacrifice themselves for the country."

Even though she said this, her always dignified and unemotional face couldn't help reveal a trace of sadness.

The massive battles of Gui Le and Bei Mo had caused some loss to Dong Lin's military power, but it was Chu Beijie's retirement to a life of seclusion after leading a mutiny that had delivered a huge blow on the once-powerful country of Dong Lin.

Had Chu Beijie completely given up his military power and continued his life of seclusion, it would be difficult to measure the extent of the cracks in Dong Lin's power.

But even so, the morale of the Dong Lin's army had been shaken.

In just one short year, the power of the four countries had shifted and shockingly, the one who had gradually profited the most from this shift of military power had been the new Prince Consort of Yun Chang, He Xia.

This alliance between the armies of Yun Chang and Bei Mo had resulted in three hundred thousand enemy soldiers approaching menacingly. Although Dong Lin had always been a country of dominance, they had been at loss for once, giving birth to the emotion of fear.

The Queen of Dong Lin had intercepted He Xia's handwritten confidential letters. The three hundred thousand troops that were arriving just wanted a single woman.

Just a woman.

Just a...Bai Pingting.

The woman who murdered her two juvenile sons, the woman who Chu Beijie hated to bits yet loved to bits seemed to be the saviour of Dong Lin at the moment.

Wasn't that truly ironic?

Wasn't that truly embarrassing?

It was such a bizarre thing, yet there was no room for doubt on He Xia's personally written letter, covered with the official seal of Yun Chang, including Princess Yaotian's handwritten initials.

The King of Dong Lin summoned his most trusted officials before discussing by the bedside.

"The Duke of Zhen-Bei refuses to hand over Bai Pingting."

"My Brother will fight and win this war for us."

"King," The Senior Offical, Chu Zairan, knelt down. His words were direct and full of pain, "With the current enemy's troops, even if the Duke of Zhen-Bei can win, it will be a bloody battle. Dong Lin's soldiers will suffer innumerous casualties."

The King of Dong Lin studied the elderly officials that had accompanied them for so many years, not making any sound.

For all those young men's lives, his Dong Lin's Royal House and the officials that protected them, it was just not worth it for just a single woman even if it was the dearest woman to Chu Beijie.

If Chu Beijie was still Dong Lin's Duke of Zhen-Bei, then he should know that it wasn't worth it.

"Queen..."The King of Dong Lin called his much-worn wife in the chambers, at the dead of the night.

He watched the resolute and noble expression on the Queen's face for a long time. The King of Dong Lin then sighed, "I know that the Queen has sent troops to camp near Brother's secluded residence and have prepared to ambush them to avenge your murdered our murdered children."

The Queen's expression did not change as she frankly replied, "Yes."

"But the Queen has never sent the order to do so."