DUBIOUS GRACE

My name is Even. Even Tennec. I'm a systems analyst.

Get your hands up.

Even did as he was told.

Don't come any closer.

I won't. Said Even.

There was some distant echo an indeterminable and metallic sound. The man shifted nervously and glanced around but the flared black muzzle of his weapon never shifted from covering Even.

Turn around. Said the man. All the way around. Slower.

Even did as he was told.

Im unarmed. He said. He gestured at the wounded man. He needs help.

The wounded man laughed bitterly. His laugh turned into a fit of coughing. He wiped his mouth afterward with the back of his hand and it came away bloody.

Don't take too long Henderson.

You're out here. Said the man called Henderson. Alone. Unarmed.

You sound surprised.

How did you survive.

I missed most of it. He said. Lucky I guess.

Henderson looked at him. Where did you work.

Little bit of everything. But computer labs mostly.

So you hid in a storage closet or something.

Something like that.

Hendy man. Times running out.

The man glanced down at his wounded colleague and grimaced.

OK he said. I don't believe you but it doesn't matter. He lowered his needlegun. The Lieutenant will sort this out.

The wounded man made a strangled groan. Then he turned over so that he was on his hands and knees and began to retch convulsively.

Even looked at him and then kneeled and opened his dufflebag.

Hey. Stop what you're doing.

He needs help. Said Even. He picked up a medkit in a small green case.

Just stay away from him.

The wounded man had stopped retching. There was a considerable pool of blood and other fluids now spreading across the metal tiles. Blood and saliva roped down from his mouth. Then he began to clamber slowly and laboriously to his feet.

I think you should sit down.

No Hendy man. I'm feeling better. He breathed deeply. I'm feeling a lot better. He made an expansive gesture with his arms.

Henderson took a step back. He turned so that he was facing the other man. That man looked at him. Then he took a step forward.

Im fine. He said.

Really. I feel. I feel better than fine. I feel amazing really.

He turned his head to look at Even. Tell him I'm fine.

Even looked at him. There was blood smeared over his face and his clothing but that was not what Even looked at. Even looked at his eyes. They were jet black and irridiscent and in the corners black veins spread out and across his face.

Yeah agreed Even after a bit. You're fine. But still, maybe you should sit down.

Oh fuck you.

He looked back at Henderson. Shoot that son of a bitch Hendy.