THE DELUGE

Two of the soldiers came over and stood him between them. They put his hands behind his back and tied his wrists with cable ties and then one put his hand on the back of Evens head and pushed it down while the other guided a bag over his head.

Rothschild demanded it. H said apologetically. Whatever comes next its best not to fight it. He added.

He was taken between the two men into the elevator. When it kicked off there was a second of weightlessness in his he could feel in his chest as the liftpod slipped down the spindle. It made no sound. The spindle clutched a core of vacuum and there was no resistance or friction and the whole thing was moved by electromagnets from outside the tunnel. The rest of the journey was immeasurable save by the fact he was counting under his breath. He counted thirty one seconds before it, still silently, began to brake and for a split second he weighed three or fours times what he weighed normally. Then they stopped.

You gave me no other choice. H said I don't like this.

You had a choice what side you're on. Even said.

No. No you said yourself. Youre not a side. Not anyone's side but yours. That you'll leave us to die here.

Then side with yourself. Not with R. Not with me. Yourself.

There was a clunk as the liftpod opened its doors. He was led out into some place he sensed was broad and open and with plenty of light There was the smell and the wet heat and the voices of many people. They continued on until they moved onto some catwalk. His hood was not fastened tightly about his neck and if he bent his head and looked straight down he could see the vented steel they walked on. This vibrated beneath the tramp of their boots as they walked him one on each side to what felt like an execution.

Stairs here. Watch your footing. Said someone.

They slowed. He felt ahead with his foot and found the first step and then mounted the stairs. The hands never left his arms. They brought him up the stairs and at the top they came out onto a landing and stopped altogether.

He is expecting us.

You're suposed to call ahead. Said some new voice. Female.

Couldnt risk it. Not on an unsecure channel. So will you sign for them.

No. Rothschild has asked for you.

One of the other soldiers with H groaned loudly. What about our downtime.

Shut up. Said H. This won't take long.

They moved on again and after a few minutes the air around him grew sweeter like it was delicately perfumed. Music was playing. There was the smell of food.

He was pushed down onto his knees and shortly there were light footsteps approaching and then someone's shadow fell across him.

Is this the one. Said someone in a gravely voice.

It is sir.

We've searched him. He's clean.

What about this one. Why isn't she restrained.

She is just a bot.

Remove her hood.

There was a long silence then the voice continued.

Why is she here. Dispose of it. Wait. See if there is any interest at the whorehouse. If not then dispose of it.

This one is attached to it.

I see.

What is your designation. He said to Sarah.

Sarah listed it off to him.