THE TERROR

As they approached the end of the tunnel the door opened and discharged a dishevelled looking woman who carried some wrapped bundle slung over her shoulder. At the sight of the trio standing under the harsh arclighting she started back then slipped in the long trail of red that bled out through the open door like the tongue of some vast beast. As she fell she curled her body to protect what she carried and a slip of cloth fell back from the bundle exposing a tiny face.

Please.

The woman scrambled to her feet clutching the wrapped infant to her chest.

Even looked at the woman. Then he brought his carbine around to bear on her, his finger settling on the trigger.

Please.

Help us. My boy is. Something is wrong with him.

Even took a few steps forward until he was within two or three meters of the woman and sighted down his carbine.

What are you doing? Sarah called.

Killing. Even said without looking back.

No please. One of those things. It. It hurt him.

What is it. That thing you carry.

An infant.

Did you birth it. From your body.

Don't be disgusting. Of course not. He was grown from a vat, but when this happened he was not yet ready. So. So I took him.

Why.

I couldnt leave him.

Even paused a moment longer then squeezed the trigger on his carbine. The woman made a sighing noise and dropped. Her arms opened and the infant fell onto the floor. Then the infant opened his eyes and began to scream.

Even came forward to the infant then with his foot he rolled him over twice more until he was undone from the blanket. The infant lay there in a cloth nappy with the rest of his body naked against the cold plascrete flooring and continued to scream his voice rising and falling.

Even put put his hand to the side as Sarah started over. Don't. Even said. There is nothing you can do for it.

We can at least make him comfortable.

Even looked at the infant and then down to its belly where in the middle of the pasty white flesh that heaved between tiny ribs was a mark a bruise rounded and black at its center. A web of blackened and blackening veins spread out from the wound. 

The creature is infected. Nico stepped closer his lip curling down as he spoke. He gripped his weapon and swung it to aim at the infant. Even put out his hand stopping the barrel of Nicos carbine.

No.

Why is it making noises. Make it stop. It will bring shit down on us otherwise.

I must observe the lifecycle. Even said. I must record. Even took out his palmcoder and touched the keys several times.

There was the sound of a shot. The crying stopped. Even spun around to see Sarah holding her needler aimed at the child. Even looked back at the child. The front of its face was caved into the bell of its skull but Even was not looking there. His attention was on the ugly wound lower down and as he watched the skin stretched and bulged. It began to split, blood running down and collecting in the navel. Then the movement ceased and the flesh was still.

Why.

It was suffering. Besides. I agree with him. Sarah nodded towards Nico. It would have brought them down on us.

Even looked down at the tiny corpse. Then he stepped past and on towards the door. Nico followed then Sarah. When Sarah came near the corpse she bent down and retrieved the infant. She bundled him with his cloths then laid him atop the mother. Even watched her but did not speak. Shortly he turned and opened the door. Beyond was a vast open space two or three decks high. Overhead were arclights distant like stars. The place rang with gunfire and screaming. There was a smell in the air acrid like burned wiring.

You will see horrors. He stepped inside leading with the muzzle of his carbine the buttplate pulled against his shoulder. He swivelled it first one way then the other. Nico followed armor soaking up the light. Then Sarah. She held her needler before her in both hands.

The stutter of automatic needlefire echoed through the space. Even flattened himself against the steel siding of a nearby platform. There were flashes of light in the darkness but none of the shots landed near them.

Come on then. Even said when the sound of the shots died away. He didn't look around this time. Follow the plan. Third platform. B floor. Stay with me.