4. Comfort Zone

"I said I wanted non-fat milk in my coffee. I can clearly taste the fat. I need this re-made as soon as possible." 

With my fakest smile, I took the coffee from the customer. "Of course. My apologies. I'll have that right out for you." Even though her coffee was made right the first time, I started to remake it. I took a glance at the customer's name on the cup. Karen. Of course. 

I glanced at the clock on the wall and let out a long sigh. Ten more minutes until my break at The Pick Me Up Coffee Shop was over. I got this job a few days after we got back to the city. Serving coffee, bagels, and other pastries seemed like something I can handle. Of course, customers like Karen here always test my patience. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I liked earning my own money and opening a savings account. I was only working part-time right now since I was in school and I didn't want to overwhelm myself. 

When I finally remade Karen's coffee, I walked back over to her and handed it to her with a smile. "Here you go. Non-fat."

Without another word, she turned and left. "You have a wonderful day," I mumbled under my breath. I was counting down the days until Sean and I were taking our mini-vacation. I still wasn't sure if I was regretting letting him pick the place, but right now I didn't care. I just wanted to not worry about school, work, or anything else. Just bliss.

"Lydia," my boss Joe called from his office, "go ahead and take your break. See you back in thirty minutes." 

"Thanks." I took off my apron and clocked out before walking outside of the shop and onto the busy streets of Manhattan. I walked across the street to the Jamba Juice to get my usual Aloha Pineapple smoothie. 

"Hey, Sam," I greeted the young blonde behind the counter. She couldn't be older than twenty and she and I have gotten used to seeing each other. Every break I would come here and order the same thing. It's become so consistent, Sam would usually have it ready for me. 

"Hey, Lydia!" She reached into the fridge and pulled it out for me. "Here you go." 

"Thank you," I replied as I reached for my wallet and pulled out some cash. 

"No, it's on me today. Thanks for the coffee yesterday." 

I smiled as I put a few dollars in the tip jar. "No problem, and thanks for this!" 

I took my smoothie and went to sit outside of my coffee shop. One other habit I did on my break was call my birth mother, Dr. Maria Sinclair. She was one of the best cardiothoracic surgeons in the country and worked at a hospital in Portland. I met her for the first time when Sean and I were doing our road trip. Of course, that was when I ended up getting kidnapped by people who were after Sean. 

After that horrific few days happened, we spoke on the phone regularly and I've made the trip out to Portland to visit her. So far it's been great. Turns out she had been trying to find me ever since I was born. Being seventeen at the time, her mother forced her to give me up to the care of my father and his wife. 

She still blamed herself for the traumatic childhood I endured and I kept telling her it wasn't her fault.

My cellphone vibrated in my pocket and I saw her name on the screen. With a smile, I pushed the answer button. "Hello?"

"Hey, Lydia. How's your day so far?" She asked. I could hear the sound of monitors beeping and doctors talking in the background.

"It's okay. Glad it's almost over. How's work?"

"Busy. I just finished a six hour surgery and my feet aren't happy about it."

I laughed into the phone. The more I got to know her, the more I noticed things that were similar between us. Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if she had raised me. But then again, if she had, she may not be the talented surgeon she is today. The world needed a doctor like her.