5

You tossed and turned in your sleep having the worst nightmare possible. Seeing Ryder in his cell unable to get to him, again.
You woke up screaming your chest heavy as you tried to catch your breath. You drag yourself off the floor and sit on the edge of your bed burying your face in your hands as you didn't want to go back to sleep. You stayed there until the dimly lit lights shone brighter signaling that it was morning.

Just then the door opposite opened and Steve walked towards you.

"How are you feeling today?" Steve asks.

You look up at him, you were unsure at first but you gave him a simple, "fine." followed by a weak smile.
You both knew deep down it was a lie but it was progress.

He smiled back and began to type the key code into your cell door.

"What are you doing?" you say standing to your feet hesitantly as the door gently glides open.

He could see you were uneasy, "hey its okay," Steve said gently, "we've set a room up for you, if you want it?"

You look at him with a confused face, no one was ever this nice to you unless they wanted something in return.
"You don't know anything about me and your willing to let me roam around freely?" you ask, "what's the catch?"

"There is no catch. We want you to trust us, to see that were here to help you find your feet," his voice genuine.

You paused for a moment mulling over his words. There was something in the way he spoke that made you feel comfortable around him. That he was a man true to his word.

You finally speak up, "does my room have a shower?"

Steve gave you a smile, "come on i will show you around."

Cautiously you follow him down a corridor and into a huge living room. Where Tony and Natasha were sat reading through some folders. There was also another man that you were yet to meet.
He too was muscular, with longer dark hair your eyes caught a glimpse of a his hand which seemed to be made of metal. His eyes met yours, as Steve introduces you.

"You've already met Tony and Nat," Nat gave a small smile but Tony didn't even look your way.
"And that's Bucky," he motioned to his friend. You give him a small smile and nod of the head.
"There are more of us but this is the current team as others are on leave or other missions," Steve tells you, "come on i will show you to your room."

Following Steve again up some stairs he points out everyone's quarters.
"We all live on this floor so if you have any issues or questions my room is that one there," he points to his door, "don't hesitate to come talk to me, or any of the team," he adds.

You nod your head in acknowledgement.

"Here," he opens the door to your room leading the way inside. Looking around you see a sofa area, huge plasma TV,  king size bed.

"Bathroom is through that door and closet through that one. Nat should of got some clothes and essentials gathered together for you."

It was a lot to take in, you turn to Steve after taking one last glance around the room, "thank you." Tears start to pool in your eyes, quickly wiping them away.

"Your welcome. Get yourself settled and come down for a bite to eat with us?" he offers as he heads out of your door, "oh and don't let Tony intimidate you, he's just being cautious, most of the time he doesn't think before he speaks. He'll come round eventually."

"I understand, I'd be the same way if a stranger was to walk into my home. How did you convince him to let me out? I assume if it was up to him id still be in there," you asked.

"It wasn't me, it was Bucky," you looked at Steve for a moment as he continued, "he's had a similar experience."

"Oh," you said with a undertone of sadness not wanting to pry.

"See you at dinner," Steve says just as he closes the door behind him.

You take a moment you breathe in deep, maybe this place would be good for you, "it would of been better if it was US," you whisper to yourself.

After having a shower you head to the closet, gripping your towel to your body eyeing up the options of what to wear.
Grabbing a pair of black leggings and a slightly oversized black hoodie you get ready. You look in the mirror feeling more like yourself.

"Suppose I better go and introduce myself," you say to yourself.

Heading down to the living area you open the door to see the team stuffing their faces with various foods.

"Mind if i join?" you ask cautiously.

"Yeah sure come on over....umm...," Steve pauses for a minute realizing you still hadn't told them your name.

"(y/n)" you finish his sentence for him.

He smiles and while he is still seated he pulls a chair out from under the table next to him. Taking the seat he had offered placed you opposite Bucky who was sat next to Natasha. Tony at the head of the table still looking at you with suspicion.

"I will tell you anything you want to know for one of those Cheeseburgers," you offered looking at Tony.

He contemplates for a moment before picking up a wrapped Cheeseburger and handing it to you. Unwrapping a portion of it you sink your teeth into it.

"Oh my God that's soooooo good," you say almost drooling.

Everyone gives you a moment to eat your burger whilst they finished their own food. Tony wiped his mouth then threw his napkin on his plate.

"So, (y/n)" he began, "do you work for Strucker?" he blatantly asks.

You gave a small chuckle, "i don't, but if i did do you think i would just out right tell you?" Everyone looks a little more alert at your answer.

Well done (y/n) you think to yourself at your misplaced joke.

You hear Bucky's strong voice across from you, "how did Strucker take you?" trying to divert your awkwardness.

You look at him nervously, you didn't know how they would react to your answer,

"I wasn't taken, I volunteered."