THIRTEEN - NOBODY

Jungkook

The truth, I prepared pasta for Soobin's teacher but after learning that its Mr. Noisy, I'm starting to think twice if I will serve the dinner.

"Ken... How I wish you're here. This will never happen if you're here." It's been my habit to talk to Ken whenever I'm feeling stressed or angry. Now, I'm feeling both.

And now, I did not notice that I'm already preparing the pasta. But I think I have to serve this for later as Soobin is still asleep. I don't want to eat alone with the noisy guy.

I chew the inside of my cheek with water and juice in my hands. As I walk towards the receiving area, I noticed him reading something from his phone and his thick full lips in a pout.

Namjoon was right, his lips resemble so much of Ken.

He turned his gaze on me, probably noticing that I am standing in place and not moving at all. "Shall we start?" He said.

I shift my gaze back on the glass. I continue to walk and place the drinks on the center table.

"So what's your concern?" I sit down on the couch across his and waited for what he's about to say.

He smiled at me before he starts and I can tell that he looks very pretty when he smiles. "Mr. Jeon, your son is not really misbehaving in school. He is actually a very good boy. All his teachers have the same things to say about him. He is well-behaved and very organized with his things. I just noticed some things that, I think should be addressed.

I noticed that he is aloof. He is always quiet and alone. I understand that he doesn't have a sibling, but is he the same here at home?"

His voice is so calm and polite. It may be shameful to admit, but it is very relaxing to listen to. "Well, he is usually quiet. He's not really the one who will tell a story. But he's very friendly to his cousin."

"I see. Are you and he talking? I mean you know, about his favorite cartoon characters or about his favorite movie. Things like that?"

Is that school-related? "Not much. When I arrive home, we usually have dinner then he will shower then sleep. That has been our routine ever since."

He nods and I don't know what he means by that question and reaction. He handed me Soobin's quizzes and it surprises me. He failed almost all his subjects but he got a perfect score in Math.

"Like what you have seen, he failed almost all. But his math was perfect and I am his math teacher. I'm not saying that I am better than the others and I'm not here to judge your child's learning ability.

To be honest with you, I am giving him extra attention in school. Not because he is my favorite but because I was the first who noticed that he always looks unhappy and reserved. I tried cheering him and talking to him during recess and after school while he waits for his driver. I noticed that he enjoys talking about his favorite cartoon, movie, sports, and foods. And with that, he enjoys my subject more than the others. Perhaps, because I am the teacher and because I am giving him special attention. Did you get what I mean Mr. Jeon?

Please do not get me wrong, I guess you should do the same here at home. Let him do his homework on his own or coach him or cheer him on. But also, make time for him to talk about his passions and you know, kids stuff. I really do think that's a simple yet effective tool to at least cheer him up. Or probably, dine or catch a ball game together? Hype him up with school and..."

"Seokjin, stop! Stop lecturing me. Can I raise my child my own way? Don't you tell me what to do and what not to do with my son? I know him well more than you do. You just met him 5 days ago and the way you talk, it seems you know him well more than I do. I'm the father, let me stress that out." It's kind of irritating that he is lecturing me on what I should do with Soobin. "And I hired you as his tutor, right? So you can teach him about his studies and homework."

"Is it true Teacher Jinnie? You will be my tutor?" Soobin just walks out of his bedroom, he's still rubbing his eyes.

"Hey Binnie, good evening." Soobin sits down on Seokjin's lap. Something that he's not doing to me.

"I'm sorry Teacher Jinnie, I was waiting for you but I fell asleep." Soobin leans his head on Seokjin's shoulder. I don't like it. He's not a baby anymore. He's acting as if he's a three-year-old kid who wanted to be carried and spoiled.

"It's okay. Wait, I brought something for you." Seokjin opened his bag and got a small box. Soobin's eyes widened as well as his smile. Something I only see when he's with his uncles and Jihoon.

"Tomica?" He exclaimed and Seokjin helped him open the box.

"Soobin, go back to your bedroom. Your teacher and I are still talking." I ordered and Soobin frowned at me.

Seokjin squeezed Soobin's hand and helped him stand on the floor. "I'll talk to you after, okay?" Seokjin said before Soobin walked back to his room.

"You're spoiling him!" My voice started to raise. I don't know why this teacher suddenly came into my son's life.

Seokjin stares at me for a while with anger laced in his eyes. "Mr. Jeon, I came here as a teacher, not as your enemy. I know we have our differences but I brushed it away for the sake of your son.

I came here not to lecture you but to discuss with you my concerns, observations and eventually make a suggestion on how to improve Soobin's sociability and interest not just in school and but with other things.

I'm sorry for saying this, but you are angry because the one who is making a suggestion is the person you hate. If I hurt your pride, then I'm sorry. I came here not to blame you or to judge you. I came here because I know your son can still improve. He doesn't have any psychosocial disability. He's just lacking support, care and attention that based on your answers earlier, something that he rarely gets or maybe, not at all.

Mr. Jeon, I truly believe Soobin is a smart boy. He will not perfect his math quiz if he's not. Let me add, I'm not questioning your capability as a parent. I came here because I know Soobin has issues. Emotional issues that you, as a parent, needed to address immediately. And as a teacher, I am responsible to discuss it with you because if I will just ignore it, who will inform you?

Soobin was very quiet when I first noticed him. He doesn't have packed snacks--"

"I already packed his food the next day." I cut him out.

"I know. But there are no drinks so I gave him it. On the third day, you gave him an egg salad sandwich and I'm glad your son is alert and did not eat it because according to him, he has egg allergies."

My heart races. I forgot about that. How can I forget about my son's allergies?

Seokjin sighs and bites his lips. "Mr. Jeon, I hope that you will consider my suggestions. If you don't believe me, I suggest you consult a child psychologist to better understand your child.

And one more, I cannot accept the tutorial services. It will be a conflict of interest. I cannot tutor my own students. That's not allowed in Gwacheon."

He stands up and gets his bag. He's about to leave. He will leave me speechless and embarrassed.

"I think I'm done with my house visit. Thank you for listening and accepting me in your home."

"You will leave?" Soobin said, tears falling on his cheeks. "You said you cannot be my tutor?"

Seokjin looks alarmed. "Binnie it's not that but.."

Soobin starts to cry then he yells. "You're like my daddy! My daddy doesn't like me. He doesn't love me! I thought you like me! You're just the same! Nobody likes me!"

And Soobin slammed his bedroom door closed.