TWENTY THREE - CONVERSATION

"Good morning Kook." Namjoon flashes his dimples on me. Lately, he's been very happy.

"Good morning." I greeted back getting the cup of Americano from his hand. "You seemed happy?"

Namjoon's smile suddenly fades. Perhaps, he's puzzled about my question. "I am always happy Kook. How's Everland with Soobin?"

"It's fine. He enjoyed it a lot." I take a sip of the coffee before finding the courage to ask him something that's been bothering me for days now. "How about you? What did you do last Saturday?"

Namjoon looked at me even more puzzled. I've never asked him about how his weekend was, if ever I did, it's very rare. Typically, we're talking about work or about my boring life.

"Hmmm... I just stayed home. Why? Is there something that happened last weekend?" He finally asked, maybe he's very curious about my unusual question.

"Nothing. I'm just curious about what you're doing every weekend. I know your life is as boring as mine but I think I rarely ask you about what's happening in your life. Do you have any plans of settling down?" I raised an eyebrow at him. And I suddenly felt nervous when his dimples deepen once again.

"Of course I want to settle down and have my own Soobin. But I guess I need to work for it." He said with a smile on his face and while playing with the armrest of the chair.

"So you're seeing someone? You haven't told me anything yet." I waited for an answer. Looking at Namjoon, he seemed to be in cloud nine.

He giggled and it sounded odd. I knew it, he's in love with Seokjin. "Well, yeah I do. I've never liked someone as much as I like that person."

I started tapping my fingers on my desk. I don't know why it feels like my head is inflating. "By the way, I'm going home early today. 3 pm on the dot. I will fetch Soobin and Jin from school."

"Jin?"

"Yes, Jin. Why? Is there something wrong?" I am just waiting for him to tell the truth. But it looks like he has no plans of telling me.

"No, nothing." He said fixing his necktie. "I once picked him up from school too. With Soobin."

"Yeah, Soobin told me." I pretend not to care. I am firm that I don't like him trying to be a father to my son especially now that we are getting close. "Anyway, let's go back to work. I need to finish everything before 3 pm.  I don't want to disappoint Soobin."

Namjoon smiled. "I'm glad that you're starting to get closer to your son. I've been waiting for that to happen."

***

I already saw Soobin waiting at the shed that afternoon. He jumped from his seat quickly as soon as he saw my car. His smile is so wide. Even if I'm inside my car, I can hear him giggling while running and it feels so good. He runs fast to my car, opens the back seat door and settles himself, wearing his seatbelt.

"You're early daddy. Where's Mr. Han?" Mr. Han is my company driver.

I shift in my seat to look at him at the backseat. "You don't like daddy to pick you up?"

"I want you to pick me up every day but you're always busy. But it's okay, Teacher Jinnie said you need to work so I can go to school." The way he speaks now has more understanding. Before, he will be very upset and sad. Sometimes, he will slam the door closed because he's angry at me. I can say that he matured a lot.

"From now on, I will pick you up unless I have a business meeting. Will that be fine?" I asked and I saw how his eyes widened in surprise. "Really daddy?"

"Yes."

He removed his seatbelt and crawled towards the driver seat to hug me. I can't explain the feeling that I have right now. It's overwhelming.

"Thank you, daddy. It's okay if you cannot pick me up. I know you're sometimes busy. But..." His beautiful smile suddenly turned into a frown. "...if you will pick me up it means you will come home early."

My forehead creased. Wondering what Soobin wants. "You don't want me to go home early? You want me to just pick you up then leave?"

He shakes his head and looks apologetic. "No, daddy. I want you to come early but if you will come early, Teacher Jinnie will go home early and will not cook dinner for me anymore."

I laughed at his explanation but at the same time, it hits me hard. Perhaps, if I am doing my responsibility as a father, he will not rely on someone else.

"I'm sorry for the shortcomings Binnie. I promise to make it up to you."

Our conversation got interrupted by a knock on the passenger window. I unlock the car door and Jin went in.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I told you I can take a taxi or bus to get there." Jin said while putting on his seatbelt.

"It's okay. I had fun talking to Soobin so you don't need to worry." I started the engine and drove off.

"It's nice that you're having some conversation with Binnie." Jin looked at the back. I looked at the rearview mirror and Soobin is still in a frown. He looks at me, maybe he's thinking that we fight. "Did you..."

I shake my head immediately. "No. Of course not. Why don't you ask him?"

"Daddy said he will pick me up every day."

Jin's eyes shot open then he looks at me. I am smiling widely.

"Then that's good."

"But it means he will be home early."

Jin looks confused. "That's.... great." His agreement was more of a question. I am already chuckling. I really want to see how Jin will react.

"But it also means you will go home early and you will not cook for me anymore."

Jin's face suddenly turned away from Soobin. I noticed that he's side-eyeing me.

"Soobin, let's talk about it later, okay? Smile now. Daddy will buy ice cream." Jin said and I looked at him immediately. I can hear Soobin clapping at the back.

"What did you say?" I asked, smirking.

"I said you will buy ice cream." He answered.

"No, not that. The way you said that, what did you say?" I repeated and he started to think.

He shakes his head.

"You said, 'Soobin, let's talk about it later. Smile now...'" I guide him so he can remember.

"Daddy will buy us ice cream." He said innocently. But I guess he already noticed me smirking. I take a glance at him and he's as red as a tomato. "That's not what I mean, you silly!"

***

Thank you all for your sweet messages for my little boy. I will publish a note at the end of this book. I PURPLE YOU ALL. 💜💜💜