Epilogue

The breeze was warm and tender on the morning of March 3rd. It had only been about a month since we left our life of fear and danger into the life we knew best a few months prior. I sigh as I look out of my window sill waiting for Jamie. Today was a day of grieving. Of letting go of a friend, a brother who came with us through the whole journey. He was a great man and his parents thought it would be best for me to give a speech on this day.

I let out a deep sigh full of sadness and grief. I turn to look in the mirror once again, looking at the tie I am wearing. He wore this same tie to our eighth grade dance. That night was once of the best nights of our lives. We danced, we ate and sang. I chuckle at the though of Connor singing Lady Gaga in font of his old crush to impress her.

the knock of my door sent me back out of my thoughts. "Mike, Jamie's here", my mom simply said before walking back to the living room. I take a deep breath before grabbing my keys and heading down.

Jaime stood there with a short lacy black dress and a sad smile on his face. He held out his hand and I gladly took it. "We'll see you guys where we told you to go", I said and lead Jamie to my car. I get in quickly and grip the wheel tightly. "Mike, its going to be fine. Today is a day to relax and let all of the emotions that have been bottled up since he...passed, okay? Mike look at me", he said and caressed my cheek. I slowly lean into his touch and looked up at his beautifully saturated eyes. "You were his best friend. You basically knew him better than anyone ese. Do you remember what I said when those bastards first attacked? We will go through this together. If you are sad I'll be sad with you. if you are anxious, I'll be anxious with you. If you are strong and brave, I will be two. We can go through this together, okay? I might not have known him like you did but he helped save my life and most importantly, he helped save yours", he said before kissing me passionately.

"Lets go", he said against my lips before he went back to his seat to buckle up.

.........

We slowed down to a stop right next to the beautiful Elder tree. It was quite tall and was starting to age since the last time I had come here. I felt a small smile linger on my face I recall all of the memories I have with this tree. With Connor. I let out a sad struck sigh and begin to walk closer.

There was flowers of all kinds around the buried casket. Yes, me may have already buried him but the pain was too tremendous to the point where I had no words to say to him. But now the wound has healed a little and enough for me to express my deepest sorrows. I have had this ceremony planned for about a week now and I still can't go through it all without full on sobbing in between words.

I look back to Jamie and give him a small smile. I hold out my hand and he puts his hand into mine. He walked closer to me and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Are you ready?" He whispers. "As I'll ever be", I say, tears already tinkling in my eyes. I let out a deep breath and look at the beautiful yet remorseful sight. 

Soon, all of Connor's family and friends made it to the ceremony, most of which were already in tears.
"Good evening everyone, today is quite the day. Maybe not the happiest but it's a day we remember the life and legacy of Connor Adams. My best friend and a close friend or family member to others", I say, my voice shaking a little bit I still continue. "Connor was an amazing person and he too was the funniest. He always knew what to say when things got tough, to make you smile. I remember one day, I was just so done with being in the closet so I just came to him. I told him all that was in my mind, well Jamie. He was all that was in my mind", I say and the audience giggled a bit. "Well all he said was, "Well I'm fine with, at least you went the one getting it from the booty crack, then I would defiantly not bear it. I already have to go through sitting next to the girls in our classes and their stupid shit." They once again giggled. "He was truly the best. There are so many things to remember him by and I wanted to acknowledge that." I say before turning to his shrine. "The flowers represent all that he has helped us in and what he has done in his life." I say and take out a list.