Prologue {4}

"So, where do you want to go first?" Connor asked me. "Anywhere that we can", I said with a giggle. He thought for a few minutes before his face lit up. "Come with me", he said as he ran forwards. I quickly followed.

We ran for a while before we faced a small field and near the side of it was a large tree. We walk towards it and I admired it's beauty. "Why are we here?" I ask as I look up at its thick branches. "This could be our hang out spot, you know? We could come here after school and just chat, eat and we can even play tag or something in the field", he said with a big smile. "That sounds awesome", I say and place my book bag at the base of it.

"You know, my dad is planning on opening his own diner or something. He wants teens like us to hang out there to", I say, sitting on the thick green grass. "Really?! We'll have two hang out spots then", he said with a laugh.

"I can already imagine us as high schoolers working for your dad and stuff", he said and he sighed. "This is nice, fresh breeze, my best friend by my side, just good vibes", he said as he sat down. "I know, right?" I say.

"I hope it stays like this forever", he said and all I could do was hum to him.

We were there for about an hour before we got hungry and decided to walk to my house. It wasn't to far but it was far enough to have us sweating more than we did playing tag. When we finally made it to the house we where both greeted by hugs from Chantell and Shawn. I awkwardly hugged them back before walking to the kitchen to get some snacks. "I didn't know you had siblings', he said. "You didn't ask", I said back as I grabbed some fruit snacks from our cabinet. He playfully punched my arm and we walked towards my room.

"So, where is your mom and dad?" He asked. "Mom said that she was going to be back by dinner time, she is leading this anti-racism rally in town hall or something. My dad is at the diner, well soon to be diner, and installing some new things", I say as we walk up the stairs. "Your mom sounds bad ass", he said with a chuckle. "She totally is. When we picked up my siblings from I guess the adoption center, she literally threatened the lady in the front desk because, she was being racist to Chantell and Shawn, my siblings", I say, recalling my mom yelling at that lady. We both laughed and we finally made it to my room

We walked in and he automatically plopped himself on my bed. "God, my feet hurt so much", He said as he got comfortable. "Well it was your Idea to play tag and stuff. I just wanted to sit and relax", I said with a chuckle. "That's fair", he said and sat up. "ooh, what's this", he said as he picked up the bouquet of lavenders. "NO! Don't touch that', I yelled and snatched it from his hands. He gave me a puzzled look before apologizing. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have touched with out your permission. But, if I can ask, why are you so protective of that", He asked timidly.

I sat down next to him and stared down at the flowers in my hand. "They were the last thing my grandma gave me before she... passed. She...", I said to him. "I'm guessing you two where close", he said and all I could do was nod. he put his hand on my shoulder and patted it softly. "Its gonna be okay Mike. If she was that close to you, you don't need some flowers to remember her by. if you truly loved her then you don't need anything to remember her by because you will never forget her. Yea, losing someone is kinds shitty but its just nature, okay?" He said with a warm smile. "So touching", I say sarcastically and he shoves my shoulder. "I was trying to be nice, asshole", he said with a fake pout. We both laughed and we went downstairs to eat before he had to leave.

It's nice having Connor around, he makes everything seem even brighter.