{ 3 }

{ M a s o n }

Work sucks. Saturdays suck because work is busy. It all just sucks.
"Mason Giovanna Staplynn, don't make me come up there! You'll be late for work!" Mom shouts.
"I'm up!" I shout back, rolling my eyes.
I pick a plain white t-shirt and tuck it into a black skater skirt, I'm allowed to wear what I want for work really, as long as it's only black or white. They don't care about shoes. "Sis, can I come in?" Hayden asks.
"Sure. I'm dressed." I answer while pulling my hair into a pony tail at the back of my head, but leaving my fringe and a few pieces of hair out. He comes in and sits on my bed. "How you feeling today?" I ask and tie a red banana around my head.
"Good." He shrugs. "Better than yesterday..."
"Cut to the chase. I know you want something."
"Can Finn and I go to warped with you, Lili and Nat?"
"Sure, I'll look after you but you have to pay for your own tickets. Okay?"
"Yes. Thanks sis, you're the best!" He jumps up and hugs me.
Me: I said Hayden and Finn could come to warped with us, they'd pay but I have to watch them.
Nat: That's fine :)
Lili: Coolio, just make sure Finn doesn't hit on you again!! XD
Me: Pfft. That was hilarious!!
I lace up some dark red converse high tops and pack my bag. Keys, phone, wallet, earphones. Done.
"I think you'll be wanting this." Hayden smiles, passing me my large cream knit cardigan. I smile and shrug it on, hanging my small bag on my shoulder.
"Now get out before the bogey man eats you." He pretends to scream and run. "I told you, you are a loser." I tease and run downstairs. "I'm off mom."
"Food." She hands me a granola bar.
"Thanks. I'll see you later."
*
I arrive at work just on time, pushing the door open to the 50's style diner. It's not too busy, it's only just past midday.
I put my stuff under the counter, folding up my cardigan and laying it on top of my bag, then tying the apron around my waist.
"How was school this week then, nerd?"
"Hmm, I wonder if that could be Evan?"
"Hello there." He smiles. That gorgeous smile that makes me swoon. I couldn't say we were properly in love, but sort of the teens in love sort of thing. I kiss his cheek quickly and head towards a table that look like they're waiting. Evan's eyes burning into the back of me, not bothering to hide that he's checking me out.
"What can I get you then?" The two guys order and I take it to the kitchen.
*
Evan and I are talking. I'm sat on the counter and he's in front of me, playing with my hands. The bell rings and my head jerks up.
"What has a girl gotta do to get a milkshake then, reckless teenagers?"
"Decided to pay me a visit Lili?"
"Uh-huh. I think Nat is getting it on with her boyfriend, so I was bored and decided to come and annoy you."
"The friendship is unreal." I roll my eyes. "Cookie dough?" She nods and I start to make the milkshake.
"Have you been melting over Justin Hills?"
"Not really, I can't deny he is cute."
"Cute?! He's damn hot! Don't deny it because Evan is here!"
"Fine. He's hot, but Evan is mine at the moment." I slide the milkshake across the counter. "Why aren't you at work?"
"Got fired. Apparently, arguing with customers isn't allowed. She was an old lady that was very vicious and deserved everything she got!"
"I'm not going to elaborate on that. I'd rather not to be honest." I laugh, running my fingers through my blonde and blue locks that are contained by a hair tie. "Usual Joe?" I ask as one of our regulars walks through the door, he sticks his thumb up. I scribble 'Joe' on a piece of paper, Samuel, the chef will just know. Evan takes it for me
"When do you get off?"
"Like 10 minutes, don't worry. We can be bored and go annoy my brother or something."
"Girlll, how'd you know?" She laughs, tossing her hair over her shoulder.
"It's a special power, I told you." I clean up all the tables, singing along to the songs on the radio. It's quiet now, the lunch time rush is over. I only have a few more minutes left and luckily, I only work Saturdays and some nights after school.
"You can go, Mason." Evan smiles, passing me my things over the counter. I pass him my apron.
"Okay. I'll text you later." He kisses me and I quickly leave, uncomfortable.
*
"I'm home sucker!" I shout to Hayden, knowing mom will be at some gym class.
"I'm in the living room, nerd!" He shouts back. I grab Lili's hand and run to the living room to find Hayden and Finn, his best friend. Lili chokes back a laugh. I elbow her. "How was work then?" Hayden asks.
"Good, I think." I sit next to Hayden, pulling into a hug. "Nawww, my little baby brother." I coo. "He's a big boy now. 16, did you know that Lili?"
"Aw, such a big boy!" She teases with me.
"Bitch." Hayden scoffs. "Go to hell."
"For heavens sake.'' Lili and I murmur at the same time, quoting bring me the horizon. We immediately start singing it.
"Nice voice." Finn smirks and winks at me.
"I like my men older, not little boys." I smile innocently. Lili loses it completely, same with Hayden, they start laughing. Finn and I had a moment of staring at each other. "Let's go." I grab Lili's hand, pulling her up from the floor and we go into my room.
We end up lying on the floor, sitting on pillows and with my blanket over us, listening to music. Not actually watching movies. "We are having the white stripes on next. Seven nation army is legendary." I tell Lili.
"Hi girls, I just came to say hi." Mom pokes her head round the door. "I'm ordering pizza, are you staying Lili?"
"Please Mrs Staplynn."
"I told you, it's Diane." She smiles.
"Please Diane." Lili says. So she's known her for her whole life and she's still calling her Mrs Staplynn? I laugh shortly. "I can't believe we are going to warped." She changes the subject.
"I know Lili. It's cool." I laugh. "Maybe some band member will whisk you off your feet!"
"Yeah right. More likely you."
We spend the rest of the night eating pizza and watching movies, like best friends should.