{ 10 }

{ M a s o n }
Song: A Trophy Fathers Trophy Son ~ Sleeping With Sirens

I walk out of the car park, onto the quiet street. I know exactly where I'm going. It's not a route I've taken many times.
To visit my fathers grave.
I've never quite been brave enough to go that often, I've been maybe once or twice a year. It's daunting. It's just sorrow and loss. I don't like feeling like it.
I reach the gates and pull Justin's hoodie around me as a wind whips through my hair, blowing some of the blue pieces in my face. That's another thing I never liked about this place, it had it's own weather. I swear it could be sunny outside the gates but raining inside. Like now, it's windy, but not a piece of hair was out of place while I was walking.
I turn left, past the small church that is there and walk up the small path to the back of the cemetery.
'Joseph Rixton Staplynn
Husband, Father, Son, Friend to all.
A brave soldier that fought for our country and lost his life doing so.
Forever in our hearts, we salute you.'
I cry as I read the headstone over and over again.
"Daddy." I whimper, tears pouring out of my eyes. "Daddy. I miss you, come back."
He can't come back. Stupid.
"Hey Daddy, I miss you so much. I'm 19 now, it's gone so quick, I'm graduating soon, in about one and a half months. I'm happy about it. Mom is great, still the caring woman you married and the professional business woman that you loved so much. Hayden is 16 now, he's great, we're closer than we were before, we do a lot together. I'm still friends with Lili and Nat. Lili misses her uncle Joe too.
I've met someone-"
"Mason?" A voice calls. I look up to see Justin. I hold my hand out for him to take and he crouches next to me.
"Daddy, this is Justin, the guy I was just telling you about. Mom said you'd like him, I think you would too. He's in a band, you always loved music, he can play bass. I met him at the beach. He's funny and caring and a lot like you were. Not to mention he's attractive." I whisper the last part but Justin still catches it.
"I would've loved to have met your dad."
"He's here. I can tell he is." I say, Justin smiles. "And hi to my little brother Carter too, I know you're looking after him Dad. It's all my fault he didn't make it. I stressed mom out about it even more after you passed away," I sob. "And I'm sorry."
"Shh, Mas. I'm sure it's not your fault." He kisses my hand. "Sir, you'd be proud of the beautiful young lady Mason has turned into. I love her very much, I already know this. She's a trophy, I'm lucky to have her."
"I love you Daddy." I wipe my eyes and stand up. "I'll see you soon." I blow a kiss to the headstone. "I'm sorry Carter, I'm sorry you couldn't live a proper life, it's my fault and I'm sorry. I would've loved a little brother. You'd be 5 now." I smile and pull Justin away.

{ J u s t i n }

I hear a quiet sobbing from up the path. "-I've met someone-" She whispers.
"Mason?" I call. She looks up and sees me. She holds her hand out for me to take, which I do, and crouch down beside her.
"Daddy, this is Justin, the guy I was just telling you about. Mom said you'd like him, I think you would too. He's in a band, you always loved music, he can play bass. I met him at the beach. He's funny and caring and a lot like you were. Not to mention he's attractive." She whispers the last part, but I still catch it and smile to myself.
"I would've loved to have met your dad."
"He's here. I can tell he is." She says. I smile. I guess she can just tell, most people can when they've lost someone they love, they know when they are with them. "And hi to my little brother Carter too, I know you're looking after him Dad. It's all my fault he didn't make it. I stressed mom out about it even more after you passed away, I'm sorry." She sobs.
"Shh, Mas it's not your fault." I kiss her hand. "Sir, you'd be proud of the beautiful young lady Mason has turned into. I love her very much, I already know this. She's a trophy, I'm lucky to have her."
"I love you Daddy." She wipes her eyes and stands up. I've never seen a person as delicate and vulnerable as this before, it's a touchy subject and she wants to share it with me. I feel lucky. "I'll see you soon." She blows a kiss. "I'm sorry Carter, I'm sorry you could t have a proper life, it's my fault and I'm sorry. I would've loved a little brother. You'd be 5 now." She pulls me away and takes me down the quiet path. I parked outside the gates.
Carter would be her little brother, I guess Diane lost him when he wasn't ready to be born yet. It must've been hard, it's the only piece of Mason's father left she had to cling onto since she'd already lost him, but the baby slipped through her fingers. It's so sad.
"I meant it Mas. I'm lucky to have you." I stop her outside the gates and put my hand on her cheek. She moved her cheek and kisses the palm of my hand, nodding once.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
I know Justin's part was kind of a repeat, it was for effect and to show what he thinks about the whole thing.
Short I know! but emotional! I was almost crying at writing some of this.
Two chapters in one day. Hollaaa!