3: The Announcement

Yibo heard incomprehensible whispers around him jolting him up from his deep slumber. Still a bit dizzy from the chloroform, his eyes opened lazily, adjusting to the bright unfamiliar place he is in.

"He's awake! He's awake!" a female's voice yelp in excitement.

Yibo turned his heard towards the voice, and saw a beautiful lady smiling widely at him. She grasped Yibo's right hand, exclaiming, "Hello Yibo! I'm Jiang Yan Li. You can call me Shijie!"

Yibo's brows furrowed as his eyes widen in shock. He saw three other people around him. A male in his early 50s and a woman in her mid 40s, stood behind Yan Li. While an old lady sits on a couch opposite the bed he was laying in.

"Where am I?!" he asked surprised seeing the unfamiliar faces.

The old lady stood up, her cane making sounds as she stepped closer to Yibo. "You are in your new home."

Yibo rose to his feet and distanced himself from the three. "No! I don't want to be in here. We have our own home. Please let me go back." He begged, huffing from the sudden release of his fears.

The old lady smiled, "That is something you can't decide...and we can't allow. You are here for a purpose."

"Purpose? And what is that?!" Yibo's heart banged so loudly he can even hear his pulses.

"Lan Yibo, you're gonna marry my grandson. And you don't have a say on it." The woman said with authority.

But Yibo isn't the least intimidated by her. He even cracked a laugh, thinking it was a funny joke. An arranged marriage at this century? With a total stranger? It's just too impractical in this era.

He composed himself again, eyeing his four audiences, "That's not gonna happen. I don't even know you people. So, if you'll excuse me."

He paved his way out, satisfied that they did not hinder his way. "What a joke." he commented as he swing the door open. But before he could step out of the room, a tall young man in a neat business suit towered above him, his gentle smiling face, made Yibo's steps froze on the ground.

He gaped at the new character, appreciating his defined features: from his jet black hair, smooth white skin, beautiful double eyelids, perfectly pointed nose, and natural reddish lips. His gaze stopped at an unusual spot under his lips. The mole is somewhat attracting to the eyes.

Whereas, the man smiled wider as he stared back at Yibo, realizing who it was. "You're the kid this morning!"

His voice made Yibo snapped out from his unnecessary thoughts. He glared at him in repost, annoyed by the fact that he called him a kid.

"Oh! So you've met?" The old woman pointed out.

"No. Not really. I just saw him helping an elderly cross the street this morning." Xiao Zhan grinned, remembering Yibo's kind attitude. Yibo looked at him in disbelief, remembering the assholes who kept honking at the poor old woman. Hatred started to burn inside him against this man.

His grandma smiled wider, clapping her hands together. "I knew I've chosen well."

Hearing those words, Yibo's gut commanded him to leave immediately. He shoved the man blocking his way, but that man caught his elbow halting his steps.

Their eyes caught each other, Zhan's eyes show confusion why the other seems to hate him, while Yibo's eyes remained cold.

"I'll make the announcement now, since both of you are here." Jiang Sangren said. "Wei Zhan, he is Lan Yibo, your fiancé."

Zhan's hand instantly froze and Yibo took the opportunity to release himself from his grasp, attempting to run away again.

But this time, two bodyguards stood in front of him, blocking his way. The same dudes who seized his arms earlier and made him breathed the chloroform which made him black-out. "Shit.", he cursed.

"Grandma!" Zhan yelled in protest. "What are you saying? You do know I have Wen Qing, right? We've been together for 5 years! H-How could I abandon her f-for a man?!" He said pointing at Yibo.

"No need to worry about that naive girl. She is not good for you." Old Sangren said shaking her head remembering that good-for-nothing girlfriend of her grandson.

"I don't approve of this! I can't accept him!" Zhan shouted, revealing his intense objection. Yan Li clung to his arm, trying to diminish her cousin's tension. "Zhan, Yibo is a nice person. Give him a chance."

Yibo hearing their conversation, felt it was pointless and insane. "I also disagree. And since I've got nothing to do with your family matters, let me go home."

Everyone looked at him, but he did not care. All he wants is to get away from that crazy family.

"Both of you have no choice!" Jiang Sangren raised her voice. She first pointed her cane against Zhan, "If you want to continue being the inheritor of our company, you have to marry him!"

Zhan snorted, "And if I don't?"

"Then you'll be out of my will. I'll give everything to Yibo. Lan Yibo will be my successor." There is an evilish grin plastered on her face, meaning her words should be regarded with seriousness.

For the second time, Zhan's body stiffened. He thought of his hard works for the company, how he spend his whole life for the company's bright future. Is he willing to sacrifice all those years of hard labor for Wen Qing?

He looked at his poor cousin Yan Li, which doesn't know anything about their business. Then he thought of his other cousin, the free-spirited Jiang Cheng, who only knows how to play around and idle. And then, his Uncle Fengmian who had already expressed his wish to retire soon. Not least to mention, his grandmother who deserves to stop stressing herself with business matters. Is he willing to turn away from his family, for love?

But to marry a man? Two straight men getting married and spending their eternity forever? The thought is just too ridiculous!

His reverie was interrupted when now her grandma's cane pointed at Yibo. "You have no say against this as well, young man. Your father owes me millions of Yuan because of his company which went bankrupt."

Yibo's expression changed. It wasn't unknown to him that due to their previous circumstances, his father needed to loan huge sum of money from some wealthy family to pay the loan sharks he'd engaged himself with.

Seeing this change of reaction, Old Sangren continued subduing the shaken Yibo. "And who do you think paid for your father's hospital expenses when he was sick?"

Yibo stared at her derisively questioning the truthfulness of her words. "And which company does your brother Xi Chen works for?"

'Jiang Enterprises.'

Yibo stood there unmoving. Her words hitting his core, making him realize he is indebted so much from this family. But to marry someone because he owes them money?

"I-I will work hard. I'll pay you! Just give me some time!" He stutteringly pleaded.

Old Sangren came further near him, whispering in his ear, "I am old. I don't have much time to wait. So heed my plea, Yibo. Marry my grandson."

---------
Author's note:

Please support this story as well!

Vote. Comment. Subscribe!

8-Mar-2020