Chapter 11

07 August 2019

I wake up earlier than I usually would on a Saturday, do my morning routine, shit, shave and shampoo, I make my way quietly to Gabby's bedroom, opening her door slowly, she is still fast asleep, hair covering her face, a small smile gracing her lips as she cuddles up to her favourite brown bear, she named him Mr. Twinkle due to his sparkly, pink bowtie, my parents bought it for her on her fifth birthday, even though she's officially twelve now, she refuses to sleep without him.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why she does it, I close her door quietly and make my way out the front door, there is no cars in sight, no people to be seen, the only sounds that can be heard as I make my way to the yellow bakery is the sounds of the birds chirping, which I find quite harmonious as the morning air causes goosebumps to erupt over my exposed skin.

The smell of various cakes being baked wafts through the air, the smell intensifying the closer I get, the sweetness of it makes me want to live in a bakery or next to one at least. I try pushing the glass door open to the yellow bakery, wondering why the door won't open, I look at the open sign hanging in the window and then I notice the red word plastered right below it, 'pull'

I face-palm, hoping no one noticed my moment with the door, a bell sounds out around the bakery signalling the cashier of my arrival, "Morning, I called in on Monday, for a Venom themed birthday cake and a single cupcake for Logan," I give the older woman a tight-lipped smile, "Yes, yes, I remember."

She smiles at me and looks at a list, "it'll be right out, dear," I look at the pictures of all the cake designs, feeling almost as if I stepped into Buddy Valastro's store, "here it is, she places the box in front of me and I can see the black alien, Venom, baring his teeth in a toothy grin with his tongue dangling out, a pink happy birthday banner above his head, "thank you, it's perfect," I know it's not the ideal cake for a birthday, but she absolutely loves him, I aim to make her happy and if this is what she wants...

***

After lighting the candle and placing it in the sparkly pink frosted cupcake I make my way to her bedroom, I expect her to be sound asleep when I enter but instead I'm greeted by the biggest, brightest eyes, staring back at me, "Is that for me?"

"No, it's for me.... Of course, it's for you! Happy birthday Gabs," I didn't think her smile could get any bigger, but I was wrong. After blowing out the candle, I decided to make her a light breakfast before the festivities of the day.

Christian and Ava is setting everything up for her birthday party, although I refused so many times, more times than I can count, they finally wore me down, I reluctantly agreed, this is the first year on her birthday that we will actually be doing something, like this.

It was tough after the accident; we didn't feel much like celebrating two months after losing....

***Flashback***

Four years ago,

07 August 2015

I stir awake, sun shining through my curtains, causing the pounding in my head to increase, I reach for my phone, I try unlocking it, but the thing is dead, I slowly try sitting up, nausea hitting me, reminding me how much alcohol I really consumed last night, before I manage to make it off my bed to doctor myself I hear pounding on the door.

"I'm coming!" I yell out, my voice hoarse, "What do- "

The rest of my words die on my tongue as I take in the sight in front of me. Gabby is sitting on the floor, right in front of the door, her overnight backpack still on her shoulders as her small body violently, unnaturally wracks with sobs, "Gabby?" I whisper, bending down to sit beside her, I try ignoring the pounding in my head, knowing my little sister is more important.