Chapter 25

I examine the girl's face before me, taking in the dark circles surrounding her eyes from the countless restless nights she spent tossing and turning unable to chase away the nightmares that haunt her. I take in her hollow cheeks from her lack of appetite, unable to force the food passed her chapped lips, lastly, I take in her eyes, her dull, tired hazel eyes void of emotions. Her eyes are filled with an emptiness that can't be explained, the emptiness in her eyes pains me, it fills my heart with such anguish and yet there's no real explanation, this girl before me simply looks lost.

There's a sudden knock on my bedroom door pulling me out of my thoughts, I move away from the mirror grabbing my brush and pulling it through my wet strands. "Come in."

Christian steps into my room with a lopsided grin on his face, Gabby's laughter rings throughout the house and I just know it brings her great joy to have Christian back here. Who could blame her though?

With Christian around the air is lighter, easier to inhale, it's easier to just... breathe. The heaviness surrounding my heart diminishes with just one look.

"Are you feeling better?" Christian asks in a gentle voice.

I look back to the mirror to see the girl I was examining mere seconds ago, her eyes are different. In the emptiness there's a spark, a fire burning in her eyes a fire that can only be associated with Christian, but behind that fire I still see the emptiness, I still see the same lost look in her eyes.

"Much," I lie. "but Chris we need to talk."

"No, we don't. I overreacted and I'm sorry about that. I just want to protect you and Gabby, these letters that you keep receiving frightens you so much. I can see it; Ava can see it."

"Wait," I interrupt him. "you spoke to Ava about this?" I drop my brush hard on my dressing table, harder than intended.

"Actually, she spoke to me about it." Christian avoids eye contact, rubbing the nape of his neck.

"Oh." Is all I manage to say.

When did she talk to Christian about the letters, could it have been right after our confrontation in her room...?

Fuck.

"We care about you, Lo and if someone's threatening you, then that person is threatening us, too."

"Chris I-"

"-don't have to explain. I shouldn't have walked out that day. I know it's hard for you to open up and to trust people, I overreacted. I should've given you your moment. I didn't want to push you to tell me, I can be such a fucking idiot sometimes." I'm taken aback by his use of words; I'm not really used to him using such words but even I gotta admit, it was attractive.

Not. The. Fucking. Time. Logan.

Chris walks over to me until he's directly in front of me bringing his hand up, he cups my cheek.

"I won't ever give up on you, Lo I promise." Chris kisses my forehead making my eyes shut, I enjoy the feel of his lips on my skin. I snake my arms around his torso, butterflies flutter around my stomach, my chest flutters, will it always feel like this when I hug him? Does he feel the electricity surging through the air each time we make contact as well?

Fuck I do, I feel it...

"We will find this person, whatever it takes." Christian whispers, the finality clear in his voice.

I don't respond knowing no matter what I say it won't help, he made up his mind on this and I doubt I can change it. I place my fingers on my temples rubbing in a circular motion hoping to ease the growing migraine.