Chapter 14

Trust me, the words echo in my head over and over again.

Do I take that leap?

Do I let myself trust Christian? A guy that has been sneaking into my heart, into my head for the last couple of months?

Christian squeezes my hand gently, capturing my attention, the usual soft, kind smile in place, calming the raging storm in me.

There's something screaming inside me to trust him, to take that leap of faith, the fear slowly ebbing away the longer I stare into his eyes, making the next word fall from my lips, effortlessly.

"Okay," I release the breath I didn't know I was holding as he leads me to the passenger door, opening it for me, I slowly get in, the feeling of being in a car foreign.

Christian jogs around the front of the car, sliding into the driver's seat, "I'm going to start the car now, okay?"

He turns the key in the ignition, the engine roaring to life, I shut my eyes tightly, the familiar memory of metal on metal coming to the forefront of my mind, my heart begins to accelerate.

"I. Can't. Do. This!" I pant as I fumble with the safety belt, feeling the need to run, run as far away from this metal death trap as I possibly can. My chest begins to feel tight, a burning sensation begins to spread throughout my lungs, tears spring to my eyes, my vision going blurry as so many 'what ifs' fill my mind.

What if we crash?

What if this time round I don't make it, leaving Gabby alone with no family?

What if?

"Hey," Christian grabs my fumbling hands, "deep breaths, Lo, let's do it together. Deep breath in."

We inhale deeply, I follow his instructions, trying to look into his kind, golden eyes, "you're doing great," he says in a soft voice.

The burning sensation begins to slowly dissipate as air makes its way into my lungs, Christian's face comes into focus, a relieved expression on his face.

"That's it," he smiles softly, "I'm sorry." I look down at our connected hands, feeling embarrassed for Christian having to witness my mini breakdown.

"Hey, look at me," he says softly as he gently cups my chin, I look into his eyes, an unknown emotion shining brightly in his amber eyes. Is it adoration?

"You don't ever have to apologize for something like that, understand?" I simply nod my head.

"Lets," I clear my throat, "try that again," I need to take this leap, I need to face my fear, I'm not entirely certain if I'm ready to do it right now, but is anyone ever ready to face their fears?

I think not.

Christian starts the ignition once again, looking over at me, "we're going to take this slow, as slow as you need."

"Okay," he slowly pulls away, I grip the car seat tightly, unable to open my eyes, feeling the movement of the car causes my stomach to churn. My mind begins to swirl with what ifs once again, but before a coherent thought can form, Christian's voice pulls me out of my head.

"Are you doing okay?" I finally open my eyes and I look at his side profile, a small smile on his face, he looks so handsome with the glow of the streetlights lighting up his face through the windscreen of the slow moving car. His hair lay haphazardly across his forehead, completing his effortless handsome style.

Light stubble coats his sharp jawline and for the first time since I've known him, I notice a dimple on the right cheek, adding to his attractiveness.