chapter 33

"Did you see this?" I hear Jack ask me.

I turn to look at him. He hands me a paper and I skim over it. Apparently, this official has a few records that aren't clean. She has killed and stolen very lethal things. Wow, she's a great role model. Note the sarcasm.

"Looks like we got a mafia person on our hands. Not like we haven't had one before." I say with a shrug. They are quite common. But I'm not going to take this case.

"Yeah but look at whats diffrent." He says pointing to the bottom paragraph.

I read it then read it again. What? This can't be. I drop the folder and back away shaking my head.

"No. No. I refuse to investigate. I won't." I say. This isn't good.

"What is it?" Tyler asks putting his arms on my shoulders to stop me.

"She's practically mafia royalty." Jack says.

"So?" Tyler says. "Why is it bothering you so much?" He looks into my eyes.

"Because I have bad ties with them and I swore I would never take another job involving them again. Let's say that they have a good reason to get back at me." I say looking from his gaze.

"What did you do?" He seems worried.

I snicker and grin. I look up at him. "What I do best." I pull out of his grasp and walk past him.

"And what do you do best?" He asks.

I look at him over my shoulder. "Kill." I turn back and walk towards my office.

I know he stopped walking and is thinking. I feel his emotions.  Worry, fear, and shock. Oh fear. A typical one associated with me. I hope he doesn't fear me for good. Or leave me. I just accepted that I love him. But that is sadly my luck.

"Who did she kill?" I hear Tyler ask someone. Probably Jack.

"A lot of the mafia members. That was her original mission. To get rid of them in groups and secretly. She did well but one of them escaped and that was the one time she showed her face in front of them. The one time she wasn't careful." Jack explains.

"Lets just say I earned this by being the dumbass I am. I wasn't careful and now they are after me. The typical story." I say over my shoulder.

Tyler frowns. "You aren't a dumbass. From what I see you are quite good at what you do."

"Thats the reason why I am good. I learn from my mistakes." I say as I stop. I lift my shirt to expose my stomach.

"Your scars." He whispers from right behind me. "Your scars are your mistakes and lessons."

I drop my shirt and feel arms wrap around me. I lean into his embrace.

"I'm sorry, baby. I would have never pieced it together like that. I wish you didn't have to go through that." He says in my ear.

"Yeh. But these scars make me, me. I wouldn't take them away even if I could." I say with honesty. I earned them.

"Ah the old you earned them scenario. Summer must be here." A russian accented man says.

I look around. A tall man strolls into the room towards me. I grin and push out of Tyler's embrace. I go up and hug the short brown haired guy.

"Viktor! It's so good to see you again." I say pulling away.

"It's been too long. What have you been up to?" Viktor asks taking stance.

"Relax." He shifts to a normal position. "I've been busy with the Forest branch. They practically stuck me there. I use to help run it and train the newbies but now it's gone and they called me up here."