𝚜𝚒𝚡

Elmer followed the Pevensies out of Mr

Elmer followed the Pevensies out of Mr. Tumnus' abode, clutching onto his sister's hand. A twig snapped and there was a rustling of the trees. Elmer hugged Phillis closer until a beaver popped out from behind a mound of snow. They all let out sighs of relief. "It... it's a beaver," Lucy said, slightly confused.
The beaver crept closer towards Peter as he held out his hand and clicked his tongue. "I ain't gonna smell it if that's what you want," the beaver said, making the children jump.
Phillis needed to take a moment to collect her thoughts and register that a beaver had just spoken to her. Lucy chuckled as Peter uttered an apology. "Lucy Pevensie?" the beaver asked, shocking the young brunette.
"Yes?" she replied as the beaver handed her a white handkerchief. "Hey, that's the hankie I gave to Mr. Tum-"
"Tumnus. He got it to me just before they took him," the beaver bowed his head.
"Is he all right?" Lucy questioned.
"Further in," the beaver whispered before hopping off.
As Lucy and Peter went to follow him, Susan pulled him back. "What are you doing?" she snapped.
"She's right," Edmund agreed.
"How do we know we can trust him?" Phillis questioned, glancing at Peter and Lucy.
"He said he knows the faun," Peter shrugged.
"He's a beaver, he shouldn't be saying anything," Susan exclaimed.
"Is everything all right?" the beaver asked, reappearing.
"Yes. We were just talking," Elmer said hurriedly.
"That's better left for safer quarters," the beaver whispered, glancing around cautiously.
"He means the trees," Lucy uttered, to which Susan and Elmer sent each other a look of worry. Peter sighed before following the beaver with Lucy, leaving the other four no choice but to go too.
"Come on we don't wanna be caught out here after nightfall," the beaver said as the group walked swiftly to the snowy woods.
They continued to follow the beaver before he exclaimed, "Oh, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee."
"It's lovely," Phillis smiled at the beaver, referring to the nice little dam down the hill.
"It's merely a trifle, you know? Still plenty to do, ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though."
As they approached the dam, the sound of a sweet female voice filled their ears. "Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with badger again, I- well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day. Look at my fur! You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?" another beaver stepped out of the dam. Phillis could only assume that she was the other beaver's wife. If they could speak, she deemed it possible for animals to get married in Narnia.
"I'd have given you a week if I thought it would've helped," he smiled sweetly at her, causing the children to chuckle.
"Come inside, and we'll see if we can get you some food and some civilised company," she said.
Phillis stood in the well-lit, nicely heated dam, whilst the others sat dotted around the home.
"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Elmer asked, sipping on some tea.
"They'll have taken him to the witch's house. You know what they say: there's few that go through them gates that come out again," Mr. Beaver replied.
"Fish 'n' chips?" Mrs. Beaver asked, trying to lighten the mood. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope."
"Oh, yeah. There's a right bit more than hope! Aslan is on the move," Mr. Beaver said.
"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked after a small pause.
Mr. Beaver burst into a fit of laughter, "Who's Aslan? You cheeky little blighter."
Mrs. Beaver nudged him when she realised that all of the children really didn't know who Aslan was. "You don't know, do you?"
"We haven't exactly been here very long," Phillis said.
"Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real King of Narnia," Mr. Beaver explained.
"He's been away for a long while," Mrs. Beaver added.
"But he's just got back! And he's waiting for you near the Stone Table," Mr. Beaver said.
"He's waiting for us?" Lucy repeated.
"You're blooming joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed, looking to his beloved wife.
"Well, then..." she said.
"Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!" Mr. Beaver said.
"You're blaming us?" Susan asked.
"No! Not blaming, thanking you," Mrs. Beaver smiled.
"There's a prophecy. When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel in throne the evil time will be over and done." Mr. Beaver recited said prophecy.
"You know that doesn't really rhyme," Susan stated.
"Yeah, I know it don't. You're kinda missing the point!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed.
"It has long been foretold that three Sons of Adam and three Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia," Mrs. Beaver explained.
"And you think we're the ones?" Peter asked, sharing a look with Elmer.
"Well, you better be! 'Cause Aslan's already fitted out your army," Mr. Beaver yelled.
"Our army?" Elmer repeated, his mouth hanging open slightly.
"Our mums sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war," Susan said, sending a pleading look to Peter.
"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes," Peter sighed.
"We're from Finchley," Phillis nodded.
"Thank you for your hospitality but we really have to go," Susan said standing up, as Elmer joined her side.
"No, you can't just leave," Mr. Beaver said.
"He's right, we have to help Mr. Tumnus," Lucy said as Phillis stood.
"It's out of our hands. I'm sorry. But it's time the six of us were getting home," Peter said. "Ed?"
They turned to see him gone but the door wide open. "Ed? I'm gonna kill him," Peter said, clenching his jaw.
"You may not have to," Mr. Beaver said, sending a wave of anxiety over Phillis' spine. She didn't particularly like Edmund, but she didn't want him to get hurt.
"Has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?" Mr. Beaver asked.