An Old Friend in an Alley

Author's Note: I'm curious to know, how many of you know who Pike is?

It's Pike... it's really him.

Eventually, we step back from the hug and I feel this slightly happy but uncomfortable feeling going through me.

I... I haven't seen him in... I don't know how long.

"Hey..."

My voice makes him smile this honest smile that's kind of comforting.

"Buffy..."

Pike looks me up and down in this way that somehow doesn't make me feel like he's checking me out but doesn't bother me either.

"You look good."

I smile at what he says and shift my weight on the balls of my feet. After a second or two, I look at him.

"You too..."

He grins in this non-male chauvinist overconfident way.

He's here. Like, actually here in front of me for the first time in forever. It's kind of this surreal blast from the past that I'm not really sure how to react to.

I watch him for what feels like a few minutes in silence because I'm not really sure where or how to start a conversation with him. Faith manages to take care of that fairly quickly though.

"So..."

Oh... right, Faith is here.

Turning slightly so I can look between Faith and Pike fairly quickly, I turn one hand towards Faith.

"Faith, this is Pike."

I switch to turn a hand to Pike.

"Pike... this is my friend Faith."

They look at each other with a bit of a smile and then Pike extends a hand for a handshake. Faith takes his hand in greeting.

"Nice to meet you..."

Pike pulls her hand up and kisses the back of her hand the way that an old time-y British person like Giles would when meeting someone.

"The pleasure is all mine."

For some reason, the slight grin on Faith's face as Pike lets go of her hand and smiles bothers me.

"Faith... Pike is... well..."

What exactly should I say he is? I've never really been sure. We were kinda friends for a while but he wanted more and I wasn't all that interested. Plus, we haven't really spoken in like 9 years or something.

Thankfully, Pike interjects during my pause.

"We're old friends."

I guess that works.

"Yeah, Pike and I are old friends."

Faith kinda looks Pike over and something about the way she does it bothers me.

"Old friends eh? How old exactly? Because, you know, I've known B for a few years now and I've only ever met one guy named after a phallic object in her life."

I look at Faith, slightly annoyed at what she just said.

"Really?"

"What?"

Faith and I stare at each other for a few seconds and despite being annoyed with her, I'm enjoying this sudden playful attitude of hers.

At least she's not angry or brooding. I guess I can deal with a little verbal jabbing if it lets her move forward.