Progress Made

My stake plunges deep into her heart and the brunette vamp bursts into dust right in front of me. That familiar wave of relief and pleasure flows through me in the few seconds since the vamp got dusted.

Wow... that felt a lot more satisfying then usual. It doesn't always feel that good. I wonder what that's about.

"Damn B..."

I turn to Faith as she walks up to me and I feel that urge to hit something slowly going away after the fight.

"You really went to town on those vamps. Almost seems like you got your own issues to be working out. Anything I should know about?"

Giving Faith a bit of a grin, I put my stake back into my pocket and we start to follow each other through the cemetery again.

How do I make this seem like not a big deal?

"Not really, I'm good. I'm just... trying to get into the spirit of things you know?"

She gives me a grin back and twirls one of her stakes in her hands.

"Well I think you managed to do that just fine."

"Thanks."

We walk in silence for a while before Faith breaks it.

"Speaking of getting into the spirit of things though..."

Our eyes meet as we walk for a second.

"While you were pummelling, I was thinking about what you said, about Dawn and everything."

Why am I suddenly feeling uncomfortable talking about this? This is what I wanted.

"Oh?"

She's silent for a few steps.

"I think... it might be over for Dawn and me."

I just let her talk this out, staying silent.

"She means a lot to me, but... I can't see myself getting back with her."

There's no reason that should be giving me good feelings.

"Okay..."

"So... what do I do?"

With a glance over at her for a second, I keep walking through the cemetery.

"What do you mean?"

Faith takes a deep breath and sighs at the end of it.

"Well... where do I go from here? Do I... start dating again or something?"

The words 'start dating again' give me this mixed feeling of happy, nervous, and guilty.

"I, I don't think I can tell you that Faith. That seems like the sorta thing you should figure out for yourself."

She gets thoughtful for about a minute or two.

"Any ideas on how I might figure that out?"

That makes me shrug at her a little.

"No idea."

She glances at me as if she was expecting more.

"Just, do whatever feels like the right thing for you and go with that. I'm sure that's not gonna be too much of a stretch for you, is it?"

There's a bit of a grin on her face as she cocks her head at me for a second.

"I dunno B, with all this growth and maturity I've been dealing with for the past couple of years, I'm not sure how easy that's gonna be."