Bringing It Up

I just have to bring it up.

Faith and I set down an obstacle in the dojo and walk over to the next one.

It's not going to be the most comfortable conversation in the world but we have to have it at some point and Faith doesn't like when things are sprung on her.

Both of us pick up another obstacle to place in the room and walk to the next place.

Sometimes it's better to blind side her with things rather than give her a chance to get her guard up when it's something that she really doesn't want to talk about, but this isn't one of those times. I want to have a real conversation about it. That means bringing it up ahead of time. I just have to work up the courage to actually do it.

We set the obstacle down and grab a few more to start putting down the others by ourselves.

I haven't put a lot of thought into what happened between us myself. Senior year was a pretty big year for me. Coming back from L.A., trying to rebuild my relationships, the Mayor, not to mention everything that happened with Angel. A one night stand with what I can only describe as a co-worker at the time wasn't really high on my list. Then her whole killing people thing kind of took first position in things to deal with when it came to her. It just got buried under all the other history between us. I really need to think about it before we talk about it.

I head back over to where the obstacles are as Faith keeps setting up the ones she has, placing some more.

I mean, it was kind of my idea. I was the one who kissed her. I remember that much at least. It's the why that I'm not entirely clear on. That's probably the part that I need the most help with. That I need Faith's help with. Of course, I have to actually bring it up with her in order for her to help.

My eyes go to my wrist and find my watch.

I should probably do it before the girls get here too.

"Faith?"

"Yeah?"

"I need to apologize."

"For what B?"

"For the way I acted the other day around you and Pike. I got a little crazy and it was wrong of me."

Faith sets down her latest obstacle and turns to face me so I set mine down and face her. She doesn't say anything though so I continue.

"I got a little carried away and I'm sorry."

She smiles at me a little as she keeps placing obstacles.

"It's okay, I get it."

She gets it?

"You do?"

"Yeah."

What exactly does she get?

"There's a crazy demon killing people with your last name. I'd be a little freaked out too."

Oh, right...

"Yeah, that's definitely a crazy maker. It was in there for sure... but... I think there was something else."

"Like what?"

"I think... I was jealous."

That makes her stop setting up and turn to me fully.

"Jealous?"

"I know."

"Why would you be jealous of me? You've got a hunk all your own."

Okay, this is where I have to be careful.

"I don't think it was you I was jealous of."

It takes her a minute to respond.

"Oh, uh..."

"Look, I meant what I said way back when you and Dawn first got together. I'm not in love with you, and I'm still not. This isn't me trying to start something. But you and I never really talked about what happened between us back then. I think I just need to talk about it. Not now, obviously, but some time in the future. Maybe we could get together and talk."

Again there's a drawn out silence before she says anything.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, I mean, we can talk about it if you want. It was a long time ago B, I don't know how much I actually remember from before the whole prison vacation, but I can do that."

We fall into silence for a little while.

"Thanks. We should, find some time to get together."

"Sure."

Then without much more thought, we go back to placing obstacles for today's lesson.

I was right, I just had to bring it up.