Slayer Standoff

I have to save Dawn.

I shift in the chair in my office, trying to calm down.

Whatever this guy wants with her, he's not going to get it. I don't care how far I have to go or what I need to do, I'll stop him. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I just hope that I don't have to go as far as I did the last time. Jumping off that tower may have been the right thing to do, but it wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done. Dying by mystical energy isn't exactly the most pleasant experience.

All that energy around you, what feels like electricity shocking you in mid-air, not to mention the burning sensation of the energy itself. I remember how it felt like being on fire while being electrocuted and suffocating while being suspended in the air. Not something I really want to experience again any time soon. It's even less fun than drowning to death. And that's before coming back from the dead.

Having to feel all that pain and anger, knowing where I was and that I couldn't go back? It nearly killed me... again. It's why I couldn't just stand back when Dawn was going through her whole self-discovery thing with Faith, and when they both started falling apart when things between them did. I couldn't stand to see them in so much pain. I still can't. But with this guy after Dawn, it has to be about more than that now. At least until he's been dealt with and we all survive.

I don't want to have to do it again. He said that the reason he wanted to find Dawn was for revenge, but it can't be that simple. It just can't be. I've spent the last 12 hours going over everything I could think of that would give him a reason to hurt Dawn out of revenge and I can't find it. There's just no reason for someone that powerful to be after Dawn.

I just don't get it.

Faith appears in the doorway, leaning on the frame.

"You okay B?"

I look up at her.

"Yeah, I'm good."

A bit of a grin appears on her face.

"Well that was convincing."

I can't help but smile back.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Yeah, but then I know you pretty well. I'm sure the girls wouldn't."

"Good thing I don't have to give you a rousing speech then isn't it?"

"Nah... I've had more than enough of your speeches to last me a lifetime."

Okay, I can do this.

"You sure you're up for this?"

It takes me a minute to answer.

I can't let this stop me. Not with what's at stake.

"I have to be."

Then I make my way towards the door and Faith. She throws her arm in my path, blocking me from leaving without touching her.

"Hey..."

I look at her at her words.

"You don't HAVE to be. I'm here for you... WE'RE here for you. This isn't all on you."

"Thanks..."

"I mean it, if you want me to do the big speech, I'll do it."

She's trying to make things easier for me, it's sweet.

I smile at her.

"Thank you for wanting to help me through this. I know you're just trying to be a good friend, but I'll be fine."