Opening Old Wounds

Dawn... this is about Dawn...

Pike grimaces as Faith tests his arm for major injuries.

How can this be about Dawn? To most people, she's just a girl. No one important to anyone for any reason. The only people who really care about her are in this room... or in Cleveland. There's no reason for this guy to be so against her. What does he have to get revenge on?

No one would ever want to hurt her. Especially not with the kind of power that he apparently has. Where the hell did he get it? Is he some kind of demon or something? What kind of demon would want anything to do with The Key? The only one who ever had any interest in The Key is... Glory. But they can't be connected can they? Glory wasn't exactly the kind of person who made a lot of friends. She mostly had minions, and they're all dead.

Faith keeps checking Pike elsewhere for any major injuries.

I hope he's not connected to Glory some how. Dealing with her was hard enough back then. It literally killed me. I'm not sure that I could deal with this again if it's some kind of Glory 2.0 situation. But... what else could it be? Who else would want The Key? Who else would want Dawn? It's not like she's even The Key anymore even. That was a one time thing. Giles was very clear from the research the Council gave him. The power of The Key only worked that one time. It only worked in Sunnydale, that year, that month, at that time. So what would a demon want with The Key now? It's useless. She's just my sister now.

He said he wanted revenge though. What kind of revenge? Revenge for what? Dawn hasn't done anything that would deserve whatever revenge he was trying to get. At least, not since I've known her... unless she did something since she went off to college? But then why wouldn't he have gone after her at college? He would've already known where she was and wouldn't be looking for her.

What the hell is he after?

"So..."

I look at Faith as she stands back from Pike.

"Who is this guy B?"

What?

"What do you mean?"

"This guy is after..."

She looks at Pike for a second as he pauses.

"The Key... so who is he?"

Pike comes in at this point.

"Why would she know?"

Faith and I look at each other for a second, not sure how much to tell him.

"Uh... B?"

"I've had some dealings with The Key before. Other people came after it."

"Okay... what is it? What's this Key thing do?"

Again Faith looks to me.

"It... opens a door to other dimensions. The last person who used it, was from another dimension and wanted to go home."

"I'm guessing it's not as simple as that?"

"It doesn't just open one door to one dimension. It opens ALL the doors to ALL the dimensions."

"Sounds apocalyptic to me. So how did you stop them?"

"I died."

That takes him a second to register.

"You mean?"

"Yup, the being dead and resurrecting thing that you heard about. That's how it happened."