24 - tention

I woke up with a pounding head ache. My eyes felt swollen and my face was sticky from the dried tears. My throat was sore each time I swallowed and my nose felt congested. I should have been wallowing in everything that has happened but I felt peace.

Calum's arms were around me and my body was pressed to his. My arms were arond his and his chin rested on the top of my head while my face rested on the crook of his neck. Our legs were somehow tangled together and I was the most comfortable I had been in months.

Calum had stayed with me all night. He came to me when he said he never wanted to speak to me again. He helped me last night. Last night. Steven.

My body tensed up and it woke Calum up. Worry washed over me and Calum took a deep breath and looked at me.

"Hey" He said softly. He sounded exhausted, I wasn't sure how long he stayed up last night making sure I was okay. I would have melted at the sound of his morning voice if I wasn't mixed with so many other emotions. I moved my head back a bit to look at him and he looked me right in the eyes.

I didn't say anything, I just groaned and moved my head back into the crook of his neck. He rested his chin on my head again and tightened the grip he had around me, making me feel secure.

Before any of us could say anything my phone rang on the table next to the bed. I jumped out of the bed and ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. It was Sariah.

"Sariah" I said to her.

"Ester" she said. "Everything is fine. The doctors say it was a miracle."

"Oh my god" I cried and fell to the floor. I almost dropped my phone. I leaned up against the tub. "I was so scared."

"So was I" Sariah said and she sniffled a bit. "The doctors said they weren't paying close enough attention but they prevented anything else that could happen. He's completely healthy now and is in recovery."

"Can I talk to him?" I asked.

"He's not aloud to see anyone but his mom." Sariah said "For now. Are you okay?"

"I had a pannik attack last night because fucking Lydia called me, told me he was dying and then hung up." I said bitterly.

"Seriously?" She gawked. "How shitty... she doesn't have a filter sometimes."

"I know." I sighed. "But everything is fine."

"How have you been?" She asked me.

"Shitty" I told her.

"What's going on?" She asked.

I told her about Calum and how he wanted nothing to do with me. If it wasn't for the topic I would have completely forgotten that he was in my room.

"He's in my room right now" I whispered.

"Go talk to him!" She said.

"What do I say?" I asked "He hates me..."

"Well, thank him for saving you last night. That's one thing." Sariah told me. "And maybe ask him how he's liking the weather."

"You're not funny" I laughed at her.

"But you're laughing." She pointed out.

"God, I miss you." I smiled "So much."

"I miss you too." She said "But I have to go because I have work in the morning and it's late."

"Alright." I sighed "Thank you for calling me."

We said our goodbyes and then hung up. When I hung up I stood up and paced the bathroom. Soon I opened up the door and Calum sat at the end of the bed and looked at his phone. He was shirtless but had some pants still one and a snap back.

He looked up from his phone and looked at my face. His expression softened and I looked at the ground.

"Sorry I look so beat up" I said.

"I think you look beautiful" He said but he widened his eyes right as he finished it. "Sorry" He chuckled. He obviously didn't mean to say that.

"Thank you.." I said "For last night..."

"You're welcome." He nodded. "I didn't mean to impose... I would have left when you fell asleep but you had a good grip on me last night."

"Sorry.." I bushed and leaned against the door frame. I bit my lip and looked to the floor again. He wanted to leave last night. That meant things were still the same.

"I wouldn't have left you anyways.. Not in a million years." He told me. "I had a pretty good grip on you too anyways" He chuckled a bit and I couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks" I told him again, more timid this time.

"Look, Est... I'm really for being such an asshole lately." He said. "I may or may not have talked to Harry... earlier."

"You don't have to explain yourself Calum. I get it. I'm a shitty human and I left you hanging." I shrugged.

"You're not a shitty human." He shook his head. "And I didn't know that this was going on. I didn't know that was the reason you were preoccupied. God, I feel terrible."

"It's okay." I assured him.

"Damn, we've had the best luck, the two of us." He chuckled.

"Tell me about it." I shook my head.

He stood up and put his shirt on before saying, "Look, I don't want to not talk to you... I think we both need some time."

"Yeah" I nodded. I was acting shy like in high school.

"So, i'll see you later." He said "I have to go pack."

"Already?" I asked.

"We have some interviews to do." He shrugged.

"Okay" I nodded. He awkwardly walked towards the door but I stopped him.

"Cal?" I said.

"Yeah?" He turned around to face me.

"I... uh, ended it.. with Niall.. We agreed to be friends." I told him for no reason at all.

"I know." He nodded.

"Okay" I said awkwardly and he walked out the door.

I stood there shocked at what just happened.

"What just happened?" I asked myself.