Chapter Two- Charles

"Which one?" I asked my mom as I held up the two dresses that she had her assistant buy.

The one in my right hand was soft...with feather ruffles; the other one was straight and very lightweight.

"The left. Definitely."

"Describe them". I told her. Her words were always so vivid and fluent. She was like a good writer or poet and knew how to speak with grace.

"Um... Let's see. It is blackish and the edges are lined with diamonds. The chest is straight across, but dips down an inch in the middle. It will look just beautiful on you, Evangiline. I knew you'd like it."

"Thank you mom." I hugged her with the hanger still in my hand.

I was getting ready to go to the Senator's charity dinner. Since my mother was also a senator, we were obliged to go. I was looking forward to the crème brulé and Pinot Noir, but not the obnoxious politicians and their selfishness. I absolutely hated them and their entitled families. It is quite funny how money can change people. Sometimes it's for the better, other times it makes people worse.

I couldn't hide the worry, though. Something felt...off, even more so than usual.

"It'll be fine darling. Just mingle with a few people and have fun!" She held my shoulders and rolled them back.

"Fun? How?" I forced a smile.

"Oh, honey, just do it for me then. Please?" She practically begged me.

"Yes, mom- I mean" I paused for dramatic effect, "Madame Senator."

                ..............

The cane fit perfectly in my hand. The ridges from all the years of clinging to it so tightly had worn it down. It was no longer smooth and new. Over the years it became harder and less uncomfortable.

My heels were snug and clacked at every guided step. They were  extremely uncomfortable but I was forced to wear them.

My mom hooked her arm through mine and ushered me through the revolving door of Hotel Grande. I felt cool air engulf me, along with the smell of gourmet foods and expensive wine.

The voices were loud and most of them were familiar. They nearly all hushed when I walked in. One would think that the "high-class" would have more manners and decency to ignore me. I felt them all staring at me and my pale eyes.

Almost two years ago after I went blind, Doctor Crane did a surgery that opened my eyes but did not heal them. He managed to permanently remove the slimy film and the crusts that once covered the things I call eyes. Now they are open for all the passerby to gawk and whisper at so I was given black out glasses.

I could feel the tension that they all tried so miserably hard to hide.

Silly snobs; you can never hide from a blind person.

My mother stiffened with anger at them. After two years, she expected them to be more mature. Chatting soon resumed after several long moments of silence.

My mom whispered at my side "It was because we're late, Evangiline." but that did nothing to comfort me.

Big dress shoes, wine, men's cologne. Someone rich... confident... and dramatic approached us so suddenly that I jumped. I heard whispers behind me saying how handsome this man was or how rich he was. He smelt familiar...

  I was rich too, sure, but the way I used my status was nothing compared to the way the rest of them did. Most abused the money and power they were graced with...but me? I stay to myself.