Chapter Twentyfive- Burn

It was too quiet in the house, even more than usually. Beside Charles breathing, all I could hear were the maids across the hall.

He lay beside me sleeping soundlessly. I ran my hand across the space between us and felt the outline of his face. My finger tips brushed over his nose, ears, and light stubble growing among his jaw line. Then I moved up to his hair and felt how soft it was.

  God I missed him. But I also was pissed. Everytime that I thought of him betraying me, my stomach felt queasy.

When I ran my fingers over his eyebrows he stirred. His eyelashes fluttered against my hand, stopping me in my tracks.

"Wake up sleeping beauty." I said with a smile.

Charles moaned like a drunk man then after several long minutes he spoke. "What... why did I... Oh."

My heart ached for him. He had just lost his father. He was out for almost a good hour while I sat beside him. My mom had gone to the city hall for an emergency meeting with the representatives but not before she visited Grace Memorial hospital. She had arranged for me and Charles to leave as soon as he woke, but it was still his choice.

"Are you okay now? Do you want anything to eat or-"

"No", he interrupted me, "I'm fine."

I slid off my bed when he sat up.  And felt the covers between my fingers. So. Many. Memories.

"Why am I in here?" He asked.

"I thought you'd be a little more comfortable instead of on the living room floor." I answered as he asked why he was in my room.

  I felt him place a hand on my thigh. Instantly, my body reacted with a quick shiver and heat spread through me like wildfire.

  "That the only reason yummy brought me up here?"

I struggled to answer. With the distraction of his hand and the flooding of my hormones,  I stuttered.

  "No. Actually I wanted to kill you. I was gonna slide my hands up your shirt..."

  His breathing got faster. "Oh yeah?"

  I nodded and bit back a smirk. " and then slide down..."

  He stopped breathing for a moment.

  "..And shove my knife into your belly button.  Then cut off your nips."

  I practically felt his excitement drop.

  Then Charles chuckled a little. "Kinky. I like it. Go on."

  I laughed. "We uhh... We gotta go now..."

Charles returned to his previous sadness.  "Okay. How'd you and your mom get me up here?"

"We didn't. The guards did. The ones that I almost fired."
"Why?"

I knew that all his questions were to avoid the issue at hand but he had to make a choice.

"Do you want to see the...the uhh...body? Before they do the stuff to it? My mom ordered them to let you view."

I moved to my dresser and faced the wall so that he could not see the pain on my face that it took to deliver the message. In a way, me telling him that felt like I was the one hurting him. Some many times I was used to taking the hurt. My hand rubbed across a bristled burst, then closed around it. I lifted it up to my frizzy hair and slowly ran it through.

"No. Let him burn." he answered with something strange in his voice.