Chapter Ten- A Mistake

"He's back miss, the tall man. He says his name is Shar-lez Heiden" Rosy said his name so wrong that I wanted to scream at her, but I was to worried about him actually being there.

I shoved the warm covers and chip bags off of me and heard them crinkle to the floor.

I had not come out of the room in two days. When I was hungry, I called Rosys name until she came and told her to get me anything quick. Mom would be back tomorrow, which I was somewhat looking forward to. I planned to indulge the weeks happenings to her upon her return.

When I stood up and stretched, my back cracked in several places. My muscles untensed in all my ligaments and blood flowed into my numb feet.

"I'm coming!" I yelled anxiously while I slipped on my clean clothes.

I had no idea what to say when I saw him. I didn't know if it would be like last time and he would just kiss me.

I made my way to my door without my cane and opened it with a shakey hand. The voyage down the wooden stairs was uneventful.

Before I opened the door I took a deep breath. I prepared myself for the awkward moment that was surely inevitable.

He was silent, but so was I. The air between us was like glass; so fragile.

"Yes?" I tried to keep my voice calm but I didn't trust it to speak more.

"Well?" I felt him lean closer to me.

"Well what?" I retorted and leaned against the door frame.

"Are you going to let me in?"

"No." I said.

He took an offensive tone. "But-"

"I was just kidding. Come in." I said.

As soon as I stepped back from the entrance, he brushed past me. I heard Rosy, or someone, stumble at his presence.

We were both silent again. I did not expect his visit or know how to handle it.

"Soo..." I leaned against the tall-backed Cherise sofa.

"I'm sorry. For the other day. I was just... I... ya know?"

I had no earthly clue what he was trying to say. "Know what?"

"It's just... I don't know why I kissed you. It was a mistake." He finally huffed.

I frowned and creased my eyebrows together. My heart felt weird all of the sudden. "A mistake?"

  "No. I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry-" he started.

  "Charles can I ask you a question?" I said after a while. I tried to ignore him but his words kept echoing in the back of my mind. 'A mistake'

   "If it's what you asked last time then no. I told you I can't tell you. Not yet."

  "It is about that but I have a different question. Is my mom making you talk to me?"

  He hesitated again. Charles has been doing that a lot lately. "I want to talk to you."

  I felt myself get angry. "That doesn't answer the question. Are they making you?"

  "Yes." Charles answered.

   I closed my eyes, this became a habit but didn't help much, he was still there.

  "Ok. Let's do this together.  Let's make them think were in love. I need to know." I said.

Charles spoke. His voice was deep with something that I could not pinpoint. "No you don't. Trust me on this you do not want to know."

"Do not fucking tell me what I want to know. I am telling you. Tell me Charles, please, so that we don't have to do this!" I almost begged him.

  "I legally can not tell you, Evangiline. I'm sorry. But I will go along with this for you. It's something your mother needs to tell you, not me. It's not my secret to tell."

   "Ok." I sighed.

    "Ok?"

   "I understand. So we just make them think were in love, then she tells me?"

  "Yea but honestly I think it is a lot to go through for this. Why don't you just ask her and see if shell crack and tell you?"

   "I overheard them talking that day you were supposed to come over for lunch. They don't know I know." I explained.

  "Let's keep it that way." He chirped. I sensed that he was smiling.

  I reached my hand towards him and smiled too. "Deal."

  Charles shook my hand firmly. I was just about to discuss the terms of our agreement until Rosy walked in. I knew it was her from the smell of Takis and floor cleaner.

  "Oh... I did not know Mr. Heiden was here." she spoke in my ear. Her tone basically asked if  I was okay.

   "Yes... We were just talking about how we both love writing."

  "Yeah. I write every day. Love it." Charles said.

Rosy grunted then left, dragging her bucket across the floor. "Adios."

I smiled a little and said goodbye back to her.

  "So we fake this?" He asked and grabbed them hand off of my knee.

   "Uhhh..." I couldn't decide whether or not to free my hand from him. "Yeah but only in front of them."

  He let go of my hand almost immediately.  "Yeah okay."