Chapter Seven- Dark Water

"Miss Evangiline! That man is here." Rosy yelled from outside my bedroom door.

"Tell him to go away. You too!" I yelled into my pillow.

"I'm afraid that he won't leave. He said so."

"Fine. I'll come tell him to fuck off myself." I groaned still half asleep and in a bad mood.

"Miss Evangiline!" Rosy yelled.

I grabbed my felt-covered cane and pushed past Rosy. When she offed to help me down the stairs, I jerked my elbow away. I fingered the railing as I made my way down.

Charles' pounding on the door stopped when I taped my cane on it from the inside.

The chirping of bluejays sand hammering of woodpeckers flooded through the door. I stood there facing him. His cologne scent was strong and brought back the memory of lunch.

"I have been trying to reach you-"

"How did the guards let you in?" I ignored his breathless words.

"I told them that it was an emergency. That Henry guy have me a lecture on how he was in love once-" Charles rambled.

"Your not in love." I said because I knew what he was getting at.

"How do you know that?"

"You can't love me. Dude we literally just met about a week ago. We are not Romeo and Juliet."

"Why? Because your-"

"Blind?" I asked.

"That does not matter, Evangiline. And I never even said I loved you! Maybe I do, but just as a friend... for now."

I scoffed, sounding a little more pathetic than I wanted to. What happened next was completely unexpected.

His lips pressed against mine gently at first, then he put more feeling into it. Charles pushed me against a wall. His body was pressed against mine so I could barely breath. I felt his hard stomach push against me, his legs were on either side of mine. I knew that my body would not allow me to push him away but my mind wanted it to stop- I blame it on the hormones. I barely knew him and the whole situation seemed awkward. What was he doing kissing me?

   My heart fluttered inside my chest a little. The way that he kissed me showed me that he felt something that I did not. I couldn't love him- I wouldn't ever.

Just then the craziest idea popped into my head. I had to fake fall in love with Charles so that I could find out my moms secret. Either he would eventually tell me himself, or she would. I was determined to find out, even if it meant breaking someone's heart.

When his hands pressed hard against my back, my small chest was against his. I wrapped my arms around his neck, putting my hands in his hair and pulling. From all the books I've read, I knew what drives guys crazy.

  When I bit gently on his bottom lip, he let out a deep growl. The very sound made my insides knot up and I pulled him closer to me if possible. I needed him to believe that I loved him.

  Just as I was going to stick my tongue down his throat, Charles pulled back.

   Without his face on mine, I felt in the open. He was staring at me, I knew.

  "What?" I asked. I stood absolutely still. Was I not a good kisser? Had Wattpad not taught me well enough?

  Just then I remembered how I made Rosy read me a very...mature book. It was absolutely hilarious the way she stuttered and hesitated at every little dirty thing.

   "I can't."

  "You can't what?"

   He sounded sad in a way. His voice was low and by the way he hesitated, I  could tell that Charles was debating something. "I...I can't do this."

  "What does that mean? You don't wanna kiss me?" I tried to sound genuinely hurt.

   "No, Evangiline. I have to go. See you later."

  With that he left. It seems that I had to step up my game. This was gonna be difficult for both of us.